Rugs Made From Polyester Squares

I am looking for a pattern, made with small squares of double knit material sewn to a bigger piece of fabric to make a rug.

By Janice from Hays, KS

I found instructions and pictures at the site.

Hope this helps.

One inch or two inch squares folded into triangles sewn together to make a chain, approx. 100 squares to a chain ... about 20 chains sewn in an oblong circle starting in the middle of denim cut out in an oval shape.

July 9, 2012 Flag

Does anyone know if you can buy the polyester squares already cut out? My mom makes rugs, but she is having a hard time cutting out the squares.

By Carolyn

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I couldn't find anything on Google, but here is my ideas. I hope they help.

Find a friend, church member or younger person like a grandchild who will cut them for her. If she has a bit of time, she can advertise on Craigslist that she will make a rug for someone who will cut enough squares to make 10. Something like that. Who knows, it might lead to more business.

Good luck and please display one for us sometime? PBP

Buy your mom an Accuquilt GO! Baby cutter. It comes with the "value" set which includes a 4 1/2", 2 1/2" squares (4" and 2" finished size) and a 1 1/2" triangle shape. You can cut 6-8 squares at a time. Go! Baby cutter's best price where I bought mine was at: for $74.99 which was the cheapest around. This will help your mom out tremendously.

December 25, 2009 Flag

I went to a craft sale and they had home sewn rugs made from polyester material. The material was cut in small squares and sewed in rows, but I don't recall how they sewed it together. The craft show was in Seymour, MO. Any help would be great.

Kathleen from Springfield, MO

Rugs Made From Polyester Squares

We used to make these rugs in our church group. It was awhile ago. I will try to explain as best I can. It takes a lot of 2 inch squares. I can't remember how they were sewed together. You had to sew them so you had a long string of them. You cut a heavy material like denim in a oval shape or rectangle. Most of ours were oval.

You start in the center and you sew down the center of the string of squares, sewing a widening circle as close together as you can. You would a have to finish the edges of the material so it wouldn't unravel. I mean the denim that you sew the squares on.

I hope that this will give you some idea how it was done. I didn't make these myself, just bought one. It's not the same as making it your self. (07/23/2008)

By Jan

Rugs Made From Polyester Squares

I've seen them too, but haven't made one. If I remember right the cut squares were about an inch or maybe a inch and one forth big. They were sewn from corner to corner (in the middle) on to a firm fairly stiff fabric, maybe a heavy upholstery. You just keep sewing them on row after row. Seems like the ones I saw were sewn on in a oval pattern. The rows were fairly close together to make the rug look fluffy. You might try Googling for rag rugs. (07/23/2008)

By suzin

Rugs Made From Polyester Squares

I've seen these made with scraps of material rather than with squares. I've always thought that it was an absolutely fantastic way to use small odd scraps that would otherwise be thrown out, odd colors of previously needed thread, and some leftover cotton duck or denim fabric. The odd shaped pieces gives the rug more of a contemporary, quirky look. (07/24/2008)

By susanmajp

Rugs Made From Polyester Squares

I have made these rugs with 2 inch square pieces of polyester. You fold the squares in half corner to corner so you have a half diamond piece. I just laid mine on the backing fabric and overlapped them about half ways with the points all going one way and just sewed them on the backing fabric that way. You can start in the middle and make and oval one or just make a oblong one.

Norma (07/25/2008)

By squapy

Polyester Fabric Squares
Making a Rug from Polyester Fabric Squares
Crafts RugsDecember 25, 2009
Polyester Fabric
Dyeing Polyester
A woman ironing clothing.
Ironing Polyester Clothing and Fabric
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs