Crafts Using a Half Gallon Jar - Categories:

Recycled CraftsCrafts

Crafts Using a Half Gallon Jar

I have a half gallon jar. Does anyone have any craft ideas I can use it for? Thanks.

Crystal from Zebulon, NC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Any kind of storage, pasta, beans, lintels, etc. If you sew it would make a good button container.

It seems like a few years ago people were taking large glass jars, putting a small strand of clear Christmas lights in it and filling with potpourri. Then putting a doily on top with a ribbon to keep it on. Plugging the lights in warmed up the potpourri to use as an air freshner. Using scented oil would freshen up the scent once it faded.

If you have several half gallon jars, they are perfect for storing some homemade hot cocoa mixes which can be given as Christmas gifts.

Or if you buy one of those 5-lb. bags of rice!

As an aside, I keep a number of jars on hand, from mayo to spaghetti sauce etc, even smaller ones. I use them for the rest of the pasta when I don't cook the whole box, partial bags of nuts or chocolate chips, etc. For me that works better than folding all those bags and putting clips on them, and I can see exactly how much I have. And it beats buying more and more plastic containers!

Cookies in a jar

Take your favorite cookie recipe "chocolate Chip Cookies" and layer the dry ingredients such as flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, white sugar, chocolate chips, nuts. pack each layer in one at a time. Place the lid on w/a piece of decorative fabric and Attach a recipe card with instruction for the wet ingredients and cooking temp. I gave this out at work one year and ever since it a request from my fellow co workers.

I have done this craft with jars ranging in size from baby food jars on up. Paint the inside of the jar with white glass paint(available at local craft stores) then use a sharpie marker or more glass paint on the outside of the jar to make a snowman face. Then you can use an old sweater tied with raffia or a child size hat to make a hat for the top of the jar. Then use a strip of fabric or old scarf to tie at the bottom for a scarf.

You could put a battery operated candle inside for light if you wanted. If you don't put a hat on it you can use a real candle. I have also used orange paint and made jack o lanterns for Halloween.

I used a similar size jar, filled it halfway with aquarium gravel, planted an amaryllis bulb, and covered near the top of bulb with remainder of colored gravel. It's starting to bloom now & it looks so pretty with the colored gravels around it. Just be careful not to overwater! You can tie a ribbon around the top if the lid screw bands are on the jar.

Use it to paint a santa face on.The neck could be his hat. Use a flesh color for the face. Paint his eyes, and a nose, Paint the rest white for his beard. Will be very cute, I did a large pickle jar, turned out darling. Good Luck

I've seen these cut in half & used as the dome on a wooden cheese tray.

Also, it would make a good terrarium jar. with plants, soil, etc.

Crafts Recycled CraftsDecember 3, 2008
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Textured Half Shell Cowl
Making a Textured Half Shell Cowl
beaded lid
Crafts Using Jar Lids
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 7:14:46 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.