Finding the Value for Antiques and Collectibles

Anyone know the value of an antique typewriter ribbon tin, or where I can find information? Thank you.

By Frugalelf from Bridgton

You can try going on to E-bay and doing a search. This way you are able to see if the item is an exact match, condition etc. You can also look under completed listings to see if and when as well as how much the item sold for if it sold. On the G.I. Joes I also have a good amount of them from when I was a kid along with transportation rigs, clothes, accesories etc. I was disapointed to see they were not worth as much as I had hoped so I will hold on to mine for another 30 years and possibly pass them down a generation. Good Luck!

Go to www.tias.com (the internet antique store) Then type in,antique typewriter ribbon tin, in the search line. They have four there that are for sale. Maybe one is like the one you have and will give you an idea of how much it is worth.

June 24, 2012 Flag

I have an old antique ironing board, it is very old, and a couple of washboards that are numbered. I also have some silver brushes, mirror, and old pictures, etc. What is the best way to get to know how much they are worth? I have no idea where to start or whom to trust.

With some of the personnel things I know its history I am keeping them. Many things I have left from "past" and they just sit in my garage. If you take them to places here, you can be quite sure you are getting ripped off. I could really use the money, however I am not wanting to give them away. I had forgotten about the brushes (with horse hair bristles) and mirror! If you have any information I would be grateful.

By Luana M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Visit some antique stores and look at similar items to get an idea of value, but remember that is the dealer's price, not what they pay for them. If you have silver items, take them to several jewelers before you sell.

The pictures can be tricky. If you know the artist, check the name on the internet. If they are prints, they probably aren't worth much unless it is a big name and in good shape. Paintings can be easier.

You need to educate yourself and that means research. Don't trust web sites that sell things - look for collectors - most love what they collect and will give you good advice, but go to numerous sites. Good luck.

I don't trust the antique stores either. The people working there are not collectors and I don't think they know the value any more than I do. I took pictures of some old drinking pitchers, dishes, etc. my Mother left me and they told me they weren't worth anything. I'm sure if I'd asked them to purchase them from me they would have; at a minimum amount.

September 15, 2009 Flag

We have several old toys (G.I. Joe 1972), an early 40's typewriter and much more. The trouble is I have no clue about their value. The only "antique" shop around here is really a junk shop. Still cool, mind you, but not much help. Can anyone tell me how to find out the value of all this?

Variven from Goldsboro N.C.

Answers:

Go to the library, they have some very good books that are price guides for antiques. (01/20/2006)

By callie43

Kovels has a good site (01/20/2006)

By sandy

Check on Ebay and see what they are bringing, and have brought, in the past few months. (01/20/2006)

By Beverly

Search on ebay for the same items that you have. You will get an idea the value of your items. Also check "Completed Listings" on ebay, for the items. (01/20/2006)

By Sharon

Be sure that the books and information you use for pricing is as current as possible. Collectibles can vary with the times and condition of the item. Remember, true value is only what someone is willing to pay and will pay for the item. Good luck! (01/20/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Be leery of the price on e-bay auctions. People will overbid for a lot of items, thinking it is a good deal, while some people will sell them cheap, because no one wants it. Check your yellow pages for appraisers, sometimes they have a specialty or can point you to the right direction. (01/20/2006)

By camo_angels

Suggestions are:

1. Go to a good book store where they will carry magazines on antiques.
2. Check out the library.
3. Check out antique sites on google such as instappraisel.com and others web pages.
4. Ebay has a web page for appraising antiques. (01/21/2006)

By Dean

The best place I found was Barnes and Noble bookstore. They let you look at the books, and also they have a lounge area where you can look and enjoy a cup of coffee. I could spend hours in there. (01/21/2006)

By amy from ny

Things that are not really rare, just collectible, check completed auctions on ebay. This is what people are willing to spend for an item. Price guides are fine, but are only that, a guide. (05/02/2009)

By ehrline

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Antiques and Collectibles
Consumer Advice General AdviceSeptember 15, 2009
Antique Glass Bowl
Finding the Value of an Antique Glass Bowl
Avon Doll
Buying Avon Collectibles
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Antique China Doll
Determining the Value of Antique China Dolls
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 4:13:20 PM on 10.0.2.112 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.