Use Coffee Grounds as Pin Cushion Filling

Here is yet another way to recycle up your used coffee grounds. Fill a pin cushion with them! Use cute scraps of fabric and simply sew together right sides together leaving a small space open. Turn, fill with coffee grounds (I use a sandwich bag as a funnel, just snip off a corner). Sew closed. Believe it or not the coffee grounds will keep your pins from rusting!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

You can do this with fresh ones, too. I think this might have been one of the first things I submitted here!

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf16625730.tip.html

I assume you need to dry the coffee grounds thoroughly. Is there a particular way to do this, or do you just spread them out on a tray, maybe in a warm oven?

I used to love making pincushions when I was a teenager. I would take a cardboard cylinder (a crochet thread roll works great for a big one), sew a cover from scraps of a favorite puncture-tolerant fabric, and fill with sawdust from the local lumberyard. Like coffee grounds, sawdust protects against rust; but coffee grounds are a lot easier to come by in coffee-drinking households.

For making pincushions, the best stuffing for them is hair. Collect your hair whenever you get it cut (or your husband's or son's). You can also go to any salon or barber shop and they will gladly let you collect the hair that has fallen to the floor.

It takes quite a bit because it'll be crammed into the cushion.

But there's no better filling for a pin cushion because human hair is also a great pin sharpener too. Every time you poke the pin into the cushion it will sharpen the pin for the next use.

ground coffee
Uses for Coffee Grounds
Better Living Green Living ReusingNovember 19, 2008
Crocheted Wrist Pin Cushion
Making a Crocheted Wrist Pin Cushion
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
Canning Pie Filling, Cherry Pie
Canning Pie Filling
🎉
🎄