Remedy for Damaged Discolored Nail

I smashed my toenail 2 years ago; it has grown back yellow, thick, and humpy not smooth. I file it to get rid of the hump and try oils, but nothing is working. Can anyone help? I want a normal toenail.

By Theresa from Akron, OH

Best Answer

Could you possibly have toenail fungus? It might have taken advantage of the injury somehow, to take hold. Your doctor could tell you if it is. You can also buy over-the-counter, paint-on products. They take a while (for as long as it takes the toenail to grow out), and you have to use it faithfully; but if it is toenail fungus, it can help, and certainly won't hurt! (There are also pills you can take, but they also take a long time, and I would not want to take a pill that will effect my whole body from the inside, when a topical might work.)

Look for images of toenails with fungus online, and see if they look like yours. What you describe sounds like it. My husband has used the topical several times through the years, with excellent results. Good luck!

Best Answer

I don't know about the discoloration, but the texture could be from a damaged nail bed. I knew a boy back in my school days, and his nails looked rough/scratched up on the tops (best way I know to describe it). He said a brick fell on his hand/fingers when he was younger, and ever since they grew out that way. A flashlight fell and hit one of my toes, and my toenail grows out with a funny ridge in it. And I think that once the nail bed is damaged, that's that. It's been a long time since I've read up on it, so I can be completely wrong!

But as others have pointed out, it could be something else. If it really bothers you so much, it can't hurt to ask your doctor about it. Best of luck!

Best Answer

I would go to see a Podiatrist.

How to Treat Thick, Discolored Toenails

Treat thick, discolored toenails by diagnosing whether the problem is caused by a fungus and visiting a doctor for a treatment. Consider using a nail bleach and scrub brush for discolored toenails...

Tags: treat, fungus, aesthetician, toenails, nail, discolored -good luck.

I would have to agree. My husband dropped something on his big toe years ago and it grew through white thick and bumpy. He has had many fungas treatments over the years even a very expensive one, but it seems the nail bed is damaged,and I don't even think removing the nail would help.

I agree that it's nail bed damage. I slammed a finger in a door so hard I thought I would pass out a couple of decades ago and the nail has never been the same :-( I just accept it as a blessing because a friend of mine had a smash so hard on his big toe that he ended up with gangrine because of the bone crush and had to have surgery to remove the entire toe and had to have physical therapy to learn to walk correctly again:-o Better to have a simple deformed nail IMHO.

It may not be a fungus. Try a product call Nonyx Nail gel. When you see the pictures, see if your nail looks like any of them.

Go to www.footsmart.com and order the Nonyx gel. It cleared up a seemingly dead toenail that I thought would never be normal again. It's on the expensive side but well worth it.

hole in sock exposing big toe nail with smiley face
Treating A Damaged Toenail
Health & Beauty AdviceDecember 6, 2009
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
🎉
🎄