SeedsGardening

Starting Sweet Pea Seeds Inside

I have Sweet Pea seed to be sown and I was wondering how soon should I plant them inside and how big they should be to transplant outside?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Debra from Hampton, Tenn

Debra, it is better not to start sweet peas inside. They like very cool weather, just like peas do that you eat. My mother used to put them outside really early. You are in zone 6 so I would think that before long you can put them out. Make sure you have something for them to climb on if they are the climbing variety.

Thank You so very much for this very helpful tip! Wish me luck and may God bless you and yours!

I am also in Zone 6 - in southwestern Canada - and I find the best way is to soak the seeds overnight (or a couple of days if you get busy) and then plant them directly in the soil (or container) in March. They do like cool weather and need something to climb on. The more you pick the flowers (for arrangements) the more they will continue to flower until the weather warms up in summer. Quit picking them in June and let them go to seed (pods) and save your seeds until next year! Good luck!