Re-texturing Heavily Textured Walls

My kitchen was previously finished with VERY deep, swirly texture on the walls. Some of the texture is well over 1/2 inch deep. Of course, it is miserable to clean. I do like the look of Tuscany texture, within reason. How can I re-texture over this? I wouldn't dare sand it off due to worry about old lead based paint. What products and tools should I use? Please help!

By Bluey from Laramie, WY

I'm not a diy person at all, but my walls have texture too and I hate it, not as deep as yours though.

I was thinking, for my problem, that I might just sheet rock, have my husband sheet rock,right over my textured walls. Then paint as usual over the sheet rock.

Maybe this will work for you. I wouldn't attempt to take that texture down for love or money, let alone lead paint.

Good luck!

Well most of that texture is made from joint compound, but some is not. I think you might have to worry more about asbestos poisoning than anything. I know the blown on texture is a worry. I took down the texture in my kitchen with water and a scraper but that was before I knew the dangers of it. It was an absolute mess. If yours is that thick, I don't think I would try it, dangerous or not. With the texture being so deep, I think I would do as Metroplex suggested and just dry wall over it.

My walls are also textured, but not quite as deep. I'm applying "Venetian Plaster" to them, after applying a primer recommended for the purpose of the application. Behr makes both products and it is a "Tuscan" look. Of course, it will take a bit more of the product to fill the texture as deep as yours. The product is already tinted the color you select and you put it on the walls with a wide putty knife after the primer dries. Mine is looking fantastic! Home Depot carries the stuff, and Lowes or other home improvement stores may also carry it. Might be worth considering. Good Luck!

Pat T in FL

First if you house was built after 1972 it is unlikely you will find any asbestos. If you are concerned about asbestos take a small amount of the texture to a testing lab for about 50 dollars you can find out. While you are at it have tape tested too. Use a knife and cut a piece the size of a quarter that is enough to test. In order to correct your texture problem I would skim coat the entire textured wall. After the wall has been smoothed you can apply any texture you prefer.

Wall Texture
Applying Texture to Walls
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallsJune 10, 2010
row of white refrigerators
Cleaning Textured Appliances
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Using Textured Paint
Using Textured Paint
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring