Healthy Midnight Snack Ideas

I have a habit of getting up in the middle of the night and snacking. Any suggestions on foods that would be considered "lite" and not too heavy on the stomach?

By Onesummer

I've struggled with late-night fridge runs for years; what has helped me is setting 8 pm as my cutoff for eating anything. Eating something like an orange, a little time-consuming, with having to peel it and such, forces me to eat slowly so I'm not just quickly wolfing something down. The natural sugars in that also help satisfy any sweet cravings for me when I just want " a little something".

If I'm especially hungry at that last snacktime, I'll measure out the right portion of something like Multigrain Cheerios, the fiber is filling, and tides me over until morning.

Also have found that I was always a night eater, never did breakfast. When I started eating breakfast, my urge to eat at night also cut down.

Hope this helps!

The advice from Puppermom is excellent. Eating at night is really not good for us and tends to unbalance our whole metabolism, making it easier to gain weight (which nobody wants to do, right?). At night when we go to bed, even our digestive system needs to "sleep" and renew itself and recover from all the hard work of the day. By getting up and eating in the middle of the night, we get those gastric juices flowing again, which could even lead to reflux problems when lying back down. The 8:00 cutoff is a good idea, but if you have to have something later, fruit or a couple whole-grain crackers or a handful of cereal would be a good idea. Just don't eat anything heavy in protein or fat, which is harder to digest. Hope this helps and hope you can fight off those urges, I used to do it myself, but no more. :-)

I have an Activia before going to bed and that stave's off any hunger pains during the night.

I keep water on my bedside table and sip on it frequently. Sometimes dehydration will disguise itsself as hunger. I do snack on popcorn, apples, sugar peas (raw) or string cheese though.

Cottage cheese (low or nonfat) is another good snack before bed. The protein in it takes a while to digest, causing your body to feel hungrier longer. Avoid carbs before bed because of the sugar energy, and the hunger when the carbs wear off. That's what make a light protein like cottage cheese work so well.

Me, too! Hunger is the only thing that wakes me. I usually go for oatmeal, a banana, applesauce, or (in summer) a tomato. I'm in my 60s and still wear a size 4, it works!

What about a cup of chocolate milk. carnation instant breakfast is the one I use. I used to work with a homebirth midwife and we would tell pregnant women (when they had trouble sleeping) is a banana, turkey sandwich (or in your case just some turkey) and milk. You know what they all contain? some tryptophan! Happy eating and sleeping!

Food and Recipes Food Tips SnacksJune 25, 2010
Cheese and Tomato Snack
Cheese Snack Ideas
Snack Mix
Snack Mix Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Strawberry Yogurt
Saving Money on Yogurt
🎄
🍂