Baking Soda And Sunshine For Freshening Pillows

Pillows are hard on our washers. To clean them, either take them to the laundromat and use their machines. Or, sprinkle with baking soda, or your favorite scent of carpet fresh, Febreeze, etc. and put them outside in the sunshine. Remember to turn them several times and to keep them directly in the sun. Smells clean and fresh, and saves wear and tear on your washing machine.

By Sherry from Parsons, KS

You know, I love this idea for newer pillows, but if old I prefer to just buy cheaper new ones, especially if stained or slept/coughed into during any illness/flu/virus. I almost forgot to change them when our family had a hard time getting rid of a bad germ years ago. The family doctor finally suggested that I toss the pillows/cases, toothbrushes, and then

we truly got well. He was so right. One year I helped a family who was always ill in our church. I went in and did what I could, and found that their pillows were almost black with body oils, stains, etc., and they said they'd had them since childhood. I was shocked, but graciously bought them inexpensive new ones and they were so very grateful when they began to get well at last. I often find big sale bins of new cheap pillows for $2-3.00 each and grab whatever I can afford to spare, which is usually only a couple, but now I have to do without something else to do that. However, it's MUCH cheaper than any

kind of meds or doctor bills. We just keep our eyes on such things as contaminated bed, sofa, chair pillows we forget about when ill and might fall asleep on. If they have a removeable zipper or are easily washable, we just wash and bleach them, but if not, we replace them after the illness, get well quickly and stay well longer. It's sort of like forgetting to wash our hands or recycling the

dishes from a sick member. When we do forget, we pay dearly for it. When we remember, we're so blessed.

I also make it a habit to buy white linens/face towels

for anyone who gets sick around here, which is rare now. I don't like chemicals of any kind but dislike being ill or taking antibiotic or serious "symptomatic relief" medicine internally even MORE. Bleach is one of only a few chemicals I use for anything. It seems to be the right thing for us.

When we lived in Japan a short time, we saw every day hanging off balconies around town where the Japanese would hang out their futon matresses over the railings to "air", so it must help a lot, especially with thick items like that. However, I prefer lightly filled poly pillows for the convenience of freshness and health. I use baking soda a LOT and keep boxes of it all around in cabinets and on shelves, in pantry, etc. I love it and the sun. We haven't seen the sun in several weeks here, so far, and miss it greatly!

God bless you for this idea for newer pillow freshening. : )

I use "inside covers" on all my pillows. I wash the inside covers at least once a month and the regular pillowcases every week. I also put my pillows outside in the sun (without pillow cases) on the days when I change a linen (every week Saturday, in my house!).

Do not forget to put them in the dryer for just five minutes as it kills germs and dustmites. I am allergic to dustmites and break out with hives everytime I go to a motel. I bought a large wand online with the purple light and now travel with it always.

Freshening Sheets
Freshening Sheets
Home and Garden Cleaning BedroomsJanuary 19, 2007
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Sunshine Dill Pickles
Making Sunshine Dill Pickles
add tag to front
Making a "Basket of Sunshine"