Removing Newspaper Ink from Dishes

I had dishes stored and wrapped in newspaper. The newspaper print is now on the dishes. How do i get them clean? I have put them in the dishwasher twice.

Lee from LOTHIAN, MD

What are the dishes made out of? Sometimes I have used softscrub or light use of a brillo pad on both stoneware and melmac (an almost stiff plastic). If they are fine china, I'm not sure.

Sorry I don't know how to remove news print off dishes, but I take it you used the newspaper when packing to move. Am I right?

Next time you move, go to the newspaper place and ask them if they have end rolls of unprinted news paper before printed for packing and moving. They will give them to you.

Check it out for packing. It is the best paper for packing. It comes on tall rolls and I wrapped most every thing that needed wrapping in this paper the last time I moved. The greatest packing paper.

Linda from PA

I don't know for sure, but a thick paste of baking soda and water works for a lot of stains like that. It really gets out tea stains, for example. I just scrub with baking soda, a few drops of water, and finger pressure.

Have you tried wiping them with alcohol? Rubbing alcohol dissolves many inks. Then wash in dishwasher.

Try Ajax with bleach it won't scratch!

January 30, 2007 Flag

I have some ceramic dishes that were wrapped in newspaper. They seemed to have absorbed the ink. Is there any way to remove these newspaper ink stains.

qmask99 in California

Answers:

Removing Newspaper Ink from Dishes

Soak in bleach - if the print ink has got under the glaze so you can't remove it maybe the bleach would remove the colour and make it less noticable. You could try calling your local museum if they have a restoration department and asking their advice. (07/12/2004)

Dirty Dishes
Removing Stains From Dishes
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 30, 2007
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Newspaper Nail Art
Newspaper Nail Art
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄