Pam to the Plant Rescue

If you are gardening on a tight budget you can rescue plants. I have found that when the gardeners for my apartment complex replaced the bedding plants, there were viable discards, which I nursed back to health. I have rescued poinsettias after Xmas (the foliage the rest of the year is nice), kolanchoas, and impatients with great results (and even mystery plants.) Besides, bring them back is very satisfying.

Pam,

I have thrown my poinsetta awy year after year until this year. I love the green leaves that started coming out as the red began falling off. Could you please tell me how I should care for it properly. Also any advice on a Ficus would be appreciated . I recieved it when my hubby passed away in Sept.2005 and the plant itself looks fine ,but it just will not get more leaves .It looks very scraggely. Thanks and you could email me off the forum if you like with the info. Thanks alot ,JAN

Poinsettias are very hardy here in S. California - (They orginally come from Mexico.) So I think you would make sure they get a lot of sunshine - and put outside during the warm season if possible. Have you fertilized your ficus? Even putting your used tea in to water it will help. and remember the symptoms for over-watering are the same as under watering (yellowing leaves) - so check if the soil is moist before you water. And make sure that plants that need sun get it - I think the ficus would need some. Try moving it. (and vice versa if it's in direct sun.) Plants have their own preferences.

Plants in pots at a nursery.
Saving Money on Plants
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 9, 2006
Hand feeding a rescued chipmunk.
Caring for a Rescued Chipmunk
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Plant Sale
Saving Money by Shopping End-Of-Season Plant Sales
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
🎄