A Lunch Bag for Panhandlers

I don't like giving money to panhandlers but sometimes want to do something. I fixed up lunch bags with a juice box, snack mix, apple, cookies, and a candy or two, and a reminder that God loves them. I can hand this to someone on the freeway ramp easily.

By Linda

I once saw the most honest sign here in the ATL area. It said "will work for beer." I at that one time wished I had had a case in my trunk cuz I was blown away by his honesty. What you posted is a GREAT idea and VERY sweet!

Don't you know how very dangerous this practice is?! You become a sitting duck on a ramp for car-jackers,or worse, not to mention that in most states it is illegal to be on the ramps without a vehical! Play it safe and donate to shelters, etc. Don't become a victim of your own kindness!

Anonymous

Please don't be deceived by these people. My son rode the rails for a year and traveled with a man who panhandled for his money. My son refused to beg and took day work when he could get it. Anyway he said this guy made very good money ! More than I make working hard everyday. I used to give to them, but since I heard that , I don't. Why should I break my back working and give it to someone who refuses to work for his?

First, DO NOT be discouraged by those who post sour notes here. Giving a lunch FEEDS these people food and refusing to give money will keep them from using it to purchase drugs or other substance abuse items.

Keep up the GOOD DEED! I say go forward, seize the day!!

I too keep paper sack care packages in my car for the homeless or "beggers" on the street corner. God is watching over me and I'm not afraid. That person standing on the corner may be a test of your faith.

Peanut butter and crackers, canned Vienna sausages, those small kits that have tuna, salad dressing, crackers (I buy mine at Sams), packaged fruit (I don't keep fresh fruit because I don't know how long the package will be in my car), you get the idea.

I've even gone to a fast food restaurant purchased the food and taken it back to the person and watched the person immediately sit down and begin to devour the food AFTER repeated thanking me and saying, "God bless you."

Love your "neighbor" as you love yourself. Do unto others as you would like someone to do for you in your time of need.

I think the ideas are great, because my husband refuses to help these people. He said he was never given anything when he was in this situation. He yells at them to get a job. I feel bad for these people, because you just don't know what brought these people to this point in time.