Carolina Barbecued Pork

Ingredients

• 2 onions, quartered
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 5 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder roast
  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Directions

Place onions in slow cooker. Combine paprika, salt and pepper; brown sugar, and rub over roast. Place roast over onions.combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt and cayenne. Stir to mix well. Drizzle about 1/3 of the vinegar mixture over roast. Cover. Refrigerate remaining vinegar mixture. Cook roast on LOW 8 to 10 hours (HIGH 4 to 6 hours). Drizzle about 1/3 of reserved vinegar mixture over roast during last half hour of cooking. Remove meat and onions, and drain. Chop or shred meat, and chop onions. Serve remaining vinegar mixture with meat so if desired, guests can drizzle.

By Connie from Oden, Arkansas

Connie and folks, down here in the Carolinas (and everywhere else, as far as I know) barbecue, by definition, is cooked over an open flame or coals. It should be slow-cooked over some kind of flavoring smoke wood; for pork I prefer hickory or a mix of hickory and oak, but some folks use just oak or cherry, apple, etc. with great results. *There is no such thing as crock pot barbecue*.

That said, your sauce sounds good. The only changes I would make, I'd use fresh crushed garlic instead of the garlic salt and I'd pulverize the onions in a food processor or chopper. I will try this next time I do a "Q".

One other observation: the term "Carolina Barbecue" can be a bit misleading. I live in the Piedmont section of SC, and the way folks make it here is very different from how it's done in the Low Country or Western NC, all of which are different from Eastern NC. If you ever get a chance do a Barbecue Tour of the Carolinas and Georgia. You'll be amazed at the variations! Thanks for the recipe, and happy cooking.