Riding Mower Won't Start Without Gas In Carb

I have a Craftsman ride on mower 917275180, with a Kohler engine. I can't get gas to pass the carburetor. I tried blowing, cleaning, new gas, etc. It works for a few seconds, if we spray gas into the carburetor.

By postalpete from Baltimore

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

These mowers use gravity feed to the carb. You may have a kink in the line or a plugged gas line coming from the tank. Try disconnecting the gas line to the carb and see if you have gas running out of the gas line.

Could be the carburetor float, fuel filter or bad gas.

Answer

My riding lawn mower needs gas poured directly into the carburetor for it to start. Once it fires up, it runs fine, but even after I let it run for a few minutes I have to take off the air filter and do it all over again. Suggestions?

By Evan from Dighton, MA

Answers:

My husband says: 1. Clogged fuel line or 2. carburetor needs cleaning (needle valve) or 3. fuel pump needs replaced. (12/25/2009)

By Lorelei

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Murray riding mower and it has spark, gas in the lines, but only runs if you dump gas down the carb! Help?

CHUCK from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Murray Riding Mower Won't Start Without Gas In Carb

Chuck, I can't answer your question, but I can tell you I have had umpteen burn patients I've treated through the years who came to me courtesy of putting gasoline in a carb. Please be careful, or you might be umpteen and one! (11/19/2007)

By Tripleb

My husband said to tell you this, "The float may be stuck and gas is not getting into the carburetor. If it doesn't have a float in it, then try removing the carburetor and cleaning it." But as the Dr. said, "Please be careful!" (11/19/2007)

By Ariela

My hubby agrees it's either the float stuck or something stuck in the needle, so it's cleaning time. (11/20/2007)

By denise w

Murray Riding Mower Won't Start Without Gas in Carb

My Murray riding mower requires the speed selector to be placed in the START or CHOKE position to start. It won't start otherwise.

I'd spray some Carb-Cleaner into the carb while it is running until it stalls, let it set an hour and start it up again.
Try some carb cleaner additive to gasoline also, as it dissolves the gummy deposits in bad gasoline. Some gasoline is full of "garbage", like the cheap "no-name" gasoline especially.

Here is a very important note: Every winter you must put something called "STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer" into the gasoline. You leave it setting in any 4-cycle gasoline powered device.

This stuff is not very expensive and will keep the gasoline from gumming up the carburetor when it freezes during winter months. I swear by it! Had many carburetor problems in the spring before I discovered STA-BIL (sold in any "Hardware" type of store in a nice dispenser bottle). (12/26/2007)

By DoctorBill

Hi. Check to see if the carb has a shut-off relay screwed into the bottom of the bowl. If so, you should be able to hear it click when the key is turned to on position. If you do not here the click, check the voltage to relay, and also the ground wire to relay. If it's ok, I would pull carb bowl and blow out jets, and also where the relay screws into the bottom of the carb . Hope this helps. (06/07/2009)

By jdj599

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 16, 2011
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:21:28 AM on 10.0.2.182 in 837 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.