Riding Mower Won't Start Without Gas In Carb

My riding lawn mower needs gas poured directly into the carburetor for it to start. Once it fires up, it runs fine, but even after I let it run for a few minutes I have to take off the air filter and do it all over again. Suggestions?

By Evan from Dighton, MA

Answers:

My husband says: 1. Clogged fuel line or 2. carburetor needs cleaning (needle valve) or 3. fuel pump needs replaced. (12/25/2009)

By Myrna

I have tried all of these, the gas line is clear , I have replaced fuel pump twice, I checked fuel pump it is pumping gas when engine is turning over. it starts and runs fine once i dump gas in the carb but if I shut it off I have to do it all over again. I check electric shut off selinoid and its working fine. seems all the answers on here still dont solve the problem.