Whitening Sand Dollars for Use in Crafts

I have a large box of sand dollars that I would like to clean and use for crafts. What do I use to make them white like the ones you buy?

By Opal from Kingsville, TX

Put them in a sink or plastic dishpan, cover with warm water, add 1/2 cup bleach and some more warm water to mix the bleach around. If all the discoloration doesn't soak out, repeat. If you are worried about doing this, just try one sand dollar to start with.

I would soak them in bleach for 10 minutes and see how they look. Be sure to wash them thoroughly with mild dish soap or baby shampoo after the bleach soaking.

They'll also bleach out in the sun.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMay 7, 2010
A photo of a girl making paper hearts.
Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide
Girl Whitening Her Teeth
Whitening Your Teeth
Family on Vacation in Pool
Maximizing your Vacation Dollars