Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Half The Meat in Hamburger Helper for Kids and Friends

Although I'm not usually crazy about Hamburger Helper, I sometimes use it when I know I'm going to have my kid's friends over for dinner. Feeding teenaged boys can break the bank so I use two boxes of mix to only one pound of meat. The kids hardly notice there is less meat and the dinner goes twice as far.

By Sharon from Bonita Springs, FL

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Joan [2]03/01/2008

By making one's own a lot of chemicals are eliminated, especially all the salt and sugar.

By Joyce (Guest Post)02/10/2008

I also add more macaroni to mac and cheese to help stretch it.

By SunshineRose (Guest Post)02/09/2008

I also use less meat but I add frozen veggies to fill in.

By (Guest Post)02/09/2008

As far as getting enough protein, they are kids, they probably immediately got up from the table and either went to someone elses house to eat or stopped and got a hamburger somewhere and got additional protein. Doesn't matter how much you feed them, they always have room for more! I also use less meat in Hamburger Helper or add extra noodles or potatoes and it is just fine! Keep feeding those kids!

By Jaime (Guest Post)02/08/2008

I add extra noodles and it stretches really well. There's enough flavor in the sauce to make it still taste good.

By Dawn Lacoste [1]02/08/2008

There are three adults here and I regularly use only half pound of ground beef with the hamburger helper.I'm not trying to be cheap or save money,we just prefer the taste of it with less meat.I wouldn't worry about the protein count for teenagers or any other age group because i am sure you are like other people and only serve the stuff once in awhile.We place too much emphasis on meats anyways.kids really do not get enough fruits and vegetables so i wouldn't worry about making the hamburger helper the way you do,it sounds great to me...

By Holly [350]02/08/2008

When the meal is over, did they get enough protein?

By suzanne [240]02/08/2008

at our aldi's ground turkey is only .89 for a 1 lb roll and much healthier

RE: Half The Meat in Hamburger Helper for Kids and Friends

By Barbara J Snyder (Guest Post)02/08/2008

Try using ground turkey or ground chicken is sometimes cost less. Also sometimes discount stores and regular stores that have a 5lb log of hamburger and buy freezer bags too. Too me a favor just be careful with the coupons only get what you need and use all the time if you have a coupon for something you wanted to try go for it but only if you want to.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]02/08/2008

Why not make something like this when your son's friends come....you can stretch it with some extra noodles. I don't think it costs a lot to fix and sure beats that boxed stuff any day!

Skillet Goulash
· 1 pound lean ground beef
· 1/2 cup onion; chopped
· 16 ounces tomatoes (1 can)
· 1/2 cup chopped celery
· 1/2 cup water
· 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
· 1/4 teaspoon pepper
· 1/8 teaspoon basil leaves
· 1/8 teaspoon marjoram leaves
· 1 1/2 cups fine noodles; uncooked (about 3 ounces)

Cook and stir the meat and the onion in a large skillet until the meat is brown. Drain off the excess fat. Stir in the tomatoes (with the liquid) and remaining ingredients, stirring to break up the tomatoes. Heat to boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender, about 20 minutes. A small amount of water can be added if necessary. Serve hot.
Skillet ground beef recipe serves 4.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]02/07/2008

If you happen to live near a discounted grocery store, you can probably buy a generic/off brand hamburger helper dinner.

By Pattie Hartley [1]02/07/2008

I use just one box of hamburger helper and just add extra pasta. Normally you can add a good size handful of pasta and the sauce that is there will be enough.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.