Rotten Fish Smell in Freezer

During the recent hurricane in Florida we lost electricity. There was frozen fish in the freezer and it defrosted. I cannot get the rotten fish smell out. I have washed it two times and the smell is still there. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Day from Boynton Beach, FL

Best Answer

I had the same thing happen to me except it was deer meat, I put jar covers with fresh coffee grounds (right from the can) in my freezer and let sit for about a week, the smell has never returned.

Best Answer

I have found fresh coffee grounds (in pie plates to increase their surface area) or crumpled up newspapers (Placed in a salad bowl,& very slightly dampened w/a spray bottle) work the best to pull odors out of the materials interiors of appliances and automobiles are made of. Hope this helps..

Best Answer

You are all brilliant, my freezer is smelling like a summers day. I had already tried bicarb to no avail. Your ground coffee and newspaper did the trick.

Thank you!

Best Answer

I turned off my frig and washed it out with soapy water, then I went over it and cleaned it out with lemon and vinegar. I let it sit open for one day. It did not work. As soon as I plugged in the frig it was smelling like shrimp again. Then I put two round cake pans FILLED with ground coffee and crumbled up news paper lightly sprayed with water and let it sit for two whole days. It WORKED. My frig does not smell like shrimp or fish any more. It smelled like coffee but it will go away in a couple of days and your frig will smell good.

So did u just let the newspaper sit in there seperately in another bowl from the ground coffee or u put them both in the same pan?

I have heard if you put crumpled newspapers in the freezer for a day or so it will take the smell out.I have never tried it myself.Hope it works for you.

You can try Baking Soda...you can also go to the Pet Store and buy charcoal and put it in there and it should take the smell out. My mom's freezer went out and all the deer meat spoiled, it was a horrid smell. Good luck.

Vanilla essence is a good way of getting rid of nasty smells also there is a product called nilodor (I don't know if you have that over there but it is quite good for stuff like that

Make sure that you clean all drip trays and run soapy water through any drain tubes. The smell may be staying in places that are hard to get to.

Sorry for your problems with the hurricane. It has been a horrible hurricane season.

Susan from Thriftyfun

we fishermen know that the best way to get fish odor off your hands is to use lemon juice (no idea why...). you might try heavily coating your freezer with lemon juice in addition to the ideas already listed.

--jon

thank u soo much for the advice it had really helped us and everyone els e who comes to our house

please help with rotten fish smell in my freezer cannot get it out

did you get rid of the smell? I am having the same problem and I need help

Bass Assassin make a odor remover that worked for me . I left a fish in my cooler for days and I used the stuff and it worked

Thanks for the information, we went on holiday and came back to a brand new caravan where the fridge was full up and there had been a power cut, and the stench is revolting, fish and brussels combined is quite nausiating. I will certainly give the advice a try. Can you buy Bass Assassin in England.

i need to know whether i need to put the coffee beans and newspaper when the freezer is switched off or when it's on to take out the smell?

Editor's Note: First, use ground coffee, not the beans. If you have beans, make sure to grind them first. I think I would wash it out with baking soda, make sure to rinse out the drain tube. Then, make sure it is dry and with the freezer off, put in the coffee grounds (in a container or tupperware with the top off) and newspaper. Plain charcoal also works well for this.

We just got back from vacation and our fridge/freezer had lost power so my son's frozen shrimp bait and meat had thawed and the smell in the freezer and fridge is unbelievable. My question is do I put the papers and coffee in the freezer with the doors shut and do I leave the appliance turned off and for how long?

Try peroxide to clean then the lemon juice then vinegar! Then add the coffee grounds and charcoal.

the way i have been doing it for a good 40 yrs .turn off fridge or deep freezer .empty contents then take a bowl of of water approx 500ml water and approx 10 to 20 ml (depending on size of freezer) bleech . pls wear gloves wipe inside of fridge of freezer leave it open till the bleech smell evaporates (approx 10 mins) then you can keep food back. the bleech will kill germs bacteria leave the frigde and freezer smelling fresh.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesOctober 31, 2005
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 9:25:11 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.