Browsing: Cleaning a Smelly Freezer

Rotten Fish Smell in Freezer

During the recent hurricane in Florida we lost electricity. There was frozen fish in the freezer and it defrosted. I cannot get the rotten fish smell out. I have washed it two times and the smell is still there. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Day from Boynton Beach, FL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I had the same thing happen to me except it was deer meat, I put jar covers with fresh coffee grounds (right from the can) in my freezer and let sit for about a week, the smell has never returned.

Best Answer

I have found fresh coffee grounds (in pie plates to increase their surface area) or crumpled up newspapers (Placed in a salad bowl,& very slightly dampened w/a spray bottle) work the best to pull odors out of the materials interiors of appliances and automobiles are made of. Hope this helps..

Best Answer

You are all brilliant, my freezer is smelling like a summers day. I had already tried bicarb to no avail. Your ground coffee and newspaper did the trick.

Thank you!

Best Answer

I turned off my frig and washed it out with soapy water, then I went over it and cleaned it out with lemon and vinegar. I let it sit open for one day. It did not work. As soon as I plugged in the frig it was smelling like shrimp again. Then I put two round cake pans FILLED with ground coffee and crumbled up news paper lightly sprayed with water and let it sit for two whole days. It WORKED. My frig does not smell like shrimp or fish any more. It smelled like coffee but it will go away in a couple of days and your frig will smell good.

So did u just let the newspaper sit in there seperately in another bowl from the ground coffee or u put them both in the same pan?

I have heard if you put crumpled newspapers in the freezer for a day or so it will take the smell out.I have never tried it myself.Hope it works for you.

You can try Baking Soda...you can also go to the Pet Store and buy charcoal and put it in there and it should take the smell out. My mom's freezer went out and all the deer meat spoiled, it was a horrid smell. Good luck.

Vanilla essence is a good way of getting rid of nasty smells also there is a product called nilodor (I don't know if you have that over there but it is quite good for stuff like that

Make sure that you clean all drip trays and run soapy water through any drain tubes. The smell may be staying in places that are hard to get to.

Sorry for your problems with the hurricane. It has been a horrible hurricane season.

Susan from Thriftyfun

we fishermen know that the best way to get fish odor off your hands is to use lemon juice (no idea why...). you might try heavily coating your freezer with lemon juice in addition to the ideas already listed.

--jon

thank u soo much for the advice it had really helped us and everyone els e who comes to our house

please help with rotten fish smell in my freezer cannot get it out

did you get rid of the smell? I am having the same problem and I need help

Bass Assassin make a odor remover that worked for me . I left a fish in my cooler for days and I used the stuff and it worked

Thanks for the information, we went on holiday and came back to a brand new caravan where the fridge was full up and there had been a power cut, and the stench is revolting, fish and brussels combined is quite nausiating. I will certainly give the advice a try. Can you buy Bass Assassin in England.

i need to know whether i need to put the coffee beans and newspaper when the freezer is switched off or when it's on to take out the smell?

Editor's Note: First, use ground coffee, not the beans. If you have beans, make sure to grind them first. I think I would wash it out with baking soda, make sure to rinse out the drain tube. Then, make sure it is dry and with the freezer off, put in the coffee grounds (in a container or tupperware with the top off) and newspaper. Plain charcoal also works well for this.

We just got back from vacation and our fridge/freezer had lost power so my son's frozen shrimp bait and meat had thawed and the smell in the freezer and fridge is unbelievable. My question is do I put the papers and coffee in the freezer with the doors shut and do I leave the appliance turned off and for how long?

Try peroxide to clean then the lemon juice then vinegar! Then add the coffee grounds and charcoal.

the way i have been doing it for a good 40 yrs .turn off fridge or deep freezer .empty contents then take a bowl of of water approx 500ml water and approx 10 to 20 ml (depending on size of freezer) bleech . pls wear gloves wipe inside of fridge of freezer leave it open till the bleech smell evaporates (approx 10 mins) then you can keep food back. the bleech will kill germs bacteria leave the frigde and freezer smelling fresh.

June 24, 2011 Flag

I can't get the rotten fish odor out of my freezer. I tried charcoal, lemon, vinegar, and baking soda, but nothing seem to work. What can I use?

By Mike

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My freezer had been unplugged and everything had rotted in it. We had fish, wild game and every kind of meat in it that had rotted. I washed it out with pinesol and javex then put a plate of baking soda in it for a day or two. I did this for about a week. Kept changing the baking soda. I then did the same thing with dried used coffee grinds. I did this for another 2 weeks. The freezer is now odorless and reusable. If the baking soda didn't work the coffee grinds did. The smell is all gone. Hope this helps.

When this happened to me and none of the suggested methods worked (coffee grounds, baking soda, etc.) I got a 5# bag of the clay kitty litter, used an ice pick and jabbed it all over to make tiny holes and closed it up in the freezer for about a week and it took care of the odor. In order to not take any chance that it might return I got another bag of kitty litter and kept it in my freeaer for a year. That Freezer lasted me for more than 30 years after that and I never had another odor in it.

Hope this helps!

I had the same problem in my refrigerator when some fish juice spilled in it. I read on Thriftyfun to use crumpled up newspaper in the fridge/freezer so I tried it. I left the paper in it for two days, changing the paper each day and it worked like a charm.

I put crumpled newspaper on every shelf.

Hope this will work for you. I also tried baking soda, ammonia, bleach solution, 409, etc., but nothing worked until I used the newspaper. In fact, all I had as far as newspaper went was the colored sections of advertisements and it worked anyway; I didn't have the regular black and white newspaper itself.

Lots of luck!

On a previous post on this site, the writer said to spray vanilla inside the freezer, shut the door and leave for a few hours. Also said it works on ice chests and once used clear vanilla on carpet in the car and it worked.

Read More Answers...
Ice Cube Trays in a Freezer
Cleaning a Smelly Freezer
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesOctober 31, 2005
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Contents of a freezer compartment from a refrigerator with the freezer on top
Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors from a Freezer
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 8:21:44 PM on 10.0.0.215 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.