Prepare Your Dog House for Winter

Old "egg crates" (mattress pad) can be cut to help winterize your dog house. Cut the foam to fit the sides and roof of your dog house and staple in place. This will help keep your best friend warm when he has to be outside. Don't forget the floor as this will help keep him warm by keeping him off the ground. A piece can also be stapled to the front to serve as a flap to keep out drafts.

By Debra in CO

Does anyone know what is the best fabric to use for an easily washable cover for a dog bed that I am considering getting Mom to sew for our aging dog Daisy?

We have the Egg Crate & Tons of fabric of all kinds as we collect the stuff.

It has to hold up well & be easy to wash as I Know some of our critters will mess on it. This is a certainty.

Oh yes, & sewing is my Mom's Passion. I didn't want the phrase "Getting Mom to sew", to be misconstrued.

Please if you are going to use those egg crate mattresses be sure to cover them with carpet witha very tightly woven material, the foam can kill your dog. If you notice any chewing on the carpet, remove and add more at once. Is there any reason your dog can't be in the house with you, that is why they are called companion animals. Very few dogs really like to stay outside away from their "pack" Dogs are social creatures and it is cruel to make them stay on a chain or a small fenced area.

PLEASE be careful with carpet in doghouses. I thought i was doing Shadow a favor by putting a piece of carpet in his dog house. It got a loose loop and started to unravel and it got around his neck. trying to get free he twisted and turned and strangled himself to death. It was a very sad time for me. Dogs have a winter coat and we make sure they have plenty of straw to nestle down in to keep warm. Dogs have a higher body temperature than we do, so a doghouse made for their size and with some straw they should be okay. Face the opening away from the wind. In very cold we do bring them in. Also feed them more since they use more calories to keep warm and make sure that they have fresh water.

Use lots of good dry fresh straw and change it every 2 weeks.

Straw is great and insulating, conforms to body,

and dog can stick himself in it if he wants.

Blankets do not do that.

Keep the wind off, use 90 degree offsets.

I got a dog house totally sheltered from wind,

with two small rooms inside, with two small

doors, one outside, other inside, carpetted

doors that fall flat on their own to keep the

wind off, an insulated doghouse.

A hearty breed outside like this is fine.

Our walker hound is so warm he comes out

and eats the snow and ice, has fleece too,

he is dry like a duck, no water touches his

skin when he jumps in a cold lake.

Took him indoors with huge windchill -35 C last winter

for a few days, put him in crate in basement, he will

eat the furniture if you leave him alone.

I don't want my dog to be uncomfortable.

He is a hearty breed from northern ontario,

never seen a farmer offer what we do in the south,

he is more than fine, but I want to make sure,

dogs don't have pores and don't loose heat

the way humans do, in the summer they can't

handle the heat, 0 C to my dog is like 22 C to us.

Best of luck.

Make sure you water and feed, fatten them a bit too.

I make sure he eats his dog food then give him

some carbs to make him fat like slices of bread

as treat at night. It works.

Not to insult anyone, but what is the point of having an outside dog? If you want an outside animal go buy some livestock. If your house is "too neat" for a dog than you shouldn't own one!

Bravo, brat! I will never understand why some people force their dogs to live outdoors. My Vet has always said, if you are cold, so is your dog.

Jennifer Northern Virginia

To Linne Dodds. I make dog bed covers from flannel. It washes easily and is warm and soft for old dogs. Also, if you don't want to buy a dog bed, fold an old blanket and stuff it inside the flannel cover, like a pillow. My dog loves hers, when the cats let her use it!

Dog Coat for Cold Weather
Keeping Pets Warm in Winter
Pets DogsSeptember 30, 2004
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations