AdviceDogs

Resident Dog Peeing in the House After Arrival of New Dog

I have a Golden Retriever who is 1 year and 8 months old. He has always been very good about not relieving himself in the house. He hasn't done so since he was about 3 months old until lately.

My roommate recently got a rescue dog who has a problem with having accidents in the house. My dog and I were at a friend's house and he peed on a rug and a plant. I'm not sure what to do about this because he has always been so great until recently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated if anyone has had this happen.

By Holly from Montgomery, AL

Answers

My Shih Tzu is 4 and still does the same thing when going to a new house with all different scents from different animals. That is more than likely the reason yours does that too. Tell the friend, or you, can take some vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the spot they pottied in.

We have a small dog we have had for about nine years. She is potty trained and has never pottied in the house. Recently we got another dog, who is also potty trained. Suddenly, our first dog has started peeing in the house.

I understand in the beginning she was upset and jealous of the new dog, and we always try to give her a little extra attention and affection to let her know we are not replacing her. She's always included in everything the new dog is included in and I let her know she's still my baby.

After several months, I thought she would be use to the other dog being here. She is friends with her, plays with her and will lay around beside her. Why is she still peeing in the house? She's made her point and marked her territory several times, I would like it to stop now.

By Kim from Pace, FL

Answers:

Sometimes dogs will do "submission" peeing when a new dog moves in. She also could have a urinary tract infection, so a trip to the vet would be worth your while. But whatever you do, do not scold her, just clean it up. Try not to let her know you are displeased with her. Dogs pay attention to our facial expressions. Scolding her will only make her more anxious, if the problem is with her and her thinking she has lost her place. When you take her outside to urinate, praise her and give her a small treat (like a Cheerio) and put a name to what she does, like "good girl, go potty" or whatever term you choose to use, and then the treat after she accomplishes the deed. It'll work. Be patient. (10/11/2010)

By arizonamafia

Well! I agree with Arizona. When I brought my new dog home from the shelter, my 2 existing dogs began running around, cocking their legs. Of course, I pictured them yelling "mine, mine, oh this is mine too, oh and this is off limits too, etc." This started on a Tuesday and had completely subside when my new (female) dog began mounting the male dogs. Definitely a power trip. But, your dog being 9 years old, and bringing another into the house at this point, I am thinking it is definitely behavioral. She is marking her territory. Even if you give her extra love, extra attention, extra treats, she still needs to let the other dog know who's Boss.

It could be a UTI. Stress can cause them as well. I would consult your vet, because this could possibly be the beginning of incontinence, which is also common in older dogs. I would get her senior wellness exams done every 6 months just to be sure. Ideally, I would do a yearly if the animal was not showing any symptoms of UTI. (11/02/2010)

By PreciselyUnique87