Cleaning Pet Urine Odor From Hardwood Floors

Accidents happen, but removing urine odors from wood floors can seem like a big job. This is a guide about cleaning pet urine odors from hardwood floors.

October 2, 2015 Flag

I have dogs and even though they go to the restroom outside if my kids don't let them out or they have a accident over night, as soon as we come in the house it smells like a dog kennel. I have hardwood floors and want to get the smell out naturally using the stuff I have at home. What can I use to get the smell out?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I know this question is older but I did want to let you know what I have done.

My dog has made a habit to potty on our dining room floor every now and then. The floor is natural hardwood, non-sealed. So it did produce a bit of an odor that I was able to mask a little bit.

Well, a few weeks ago she gave birth to 10 puppies on that same floor and it was a disaster. After that she has been pottying ( #1 and #2 ) on that floor any time I turned my back ( almost literally ). The smell was HORRIBLE. I didn't want to come home anymore. The second I put the key in the front door to unlock it, I could smell it! It was so bad I didn't know what to do.

I've spent the last few weeks buying any product that said it'd work for pet urine and odor. I ordered chemicals online that were strictly for removing odor out of hardwood floors. Nothing seemed to help. The minute I thought it might, the smell was back the next day.

Anyway to get to the point, I was running out of options and definitely sanity. I bought 4lbs of baking soda, and got some white vinegar. I poured the box of baking soda all over the floor. I took a small handheld broom and brushed it in all the cracks and spaces in the floor as well as making sure the actual top of the floor was coated. ( this creates a huge powdery mess but it's worth it.) I let the powder sit for about 5 minutes. I then sprayed vinegar, dousing the baking soda and let that work for about 10-15min. Sprayed it with vinegar again and started scrubbing with a brush the top layer of the floor and in the cracks. Wiping up the mess with paper towel. After I let it all dry. I lightly broomed some more baking soda on the floor making sure it got into the cracks and vacuumed up the rest. It created a dusty kind of residue on the floor so I wiped the floor with pledge. Turned on a fan and opened the Windows to let the room air out. Smell-GONE. completely. Even before when I'd clean it and the room smelled "ok" if you got closer to the floor there was an odor. Not now.

I can willingly come home again! Lol. I open the front door and I'm not greeted with a bad odor. I walk through the dining room and just look at the floor in awe. The floor even looks as great as it smells too. I have found my new floor cleaning regimen for sure.

Sorry for such a long post but it stunk so so so bad and it's just gone now without a fortune being spent.

Best Answer

You know what really works great and does not require multiple stages, Odoban. I asked a buddy who deals with urine soaked hardwoods for a living (among other things). There are a ton of enzyme based cleaners out there and I have tried some thaf really don't work well at all.

Let me give you a picture of what kind of disaster and smell i was desling with. A family member of mine bought a house that was a rental property for many years. Mind you the previous owners last tenant hadn't lived there in almost 2 years. It had been vacant for for nearly two years... i was pulling up carpet that was so urine soaked from a dog tbat it was still wet, sticky, snd terrible smelling. Underneath the carpet was urine soKed natural hardwoods.

My friend recommended the eucalyptus odoban and advised me to use a carpet cleaner with hot water and the odoban. The carpet cleaner applies the cleanser and it also sucks it back up after you let the solution sit kn the floor fir a llttle bit. There was only one area that was so bad that i had to do the process twice.

That was e years ago. To this day you wouid never know that a dog lived in that house let alonepissed every where.

I use vinegar and water. So far, no one can smell anything from the dog, and they should.

January 9, 2014 Flag

I have been searching the internet, and have tried just about everything. Here's a little back story, we bought a fixer upper house, in a small town that we really love. We got a good deal (to be determined), in November, with the plans to be moved in sometime in spring.

This house was lived in by five bachelors, and needless to say, the house was pretty gross, and we still have a lot of work to do. We spent close to a month just scrubbing everything, walls, kitchen, ripping out the shower, and pretty much anything else that was really disgusting. Then we bought some paint and painted the walls. Now we are just waiting on more money to finish replacing things (shower, lights, doors, carpet, etc.).

The carpet was removed before we purchased the house, and it has natural hardwood floors, that are not in good shape. After really looking at them, we determined they are not worth refinishing, as it would cost a lot.

What we have noticed is that even after cleaning everything and painting, there is still this gross dog smell, (the dogs that lived there were gross, I felt bad for them). Through process of elimination, we know it is the wood floor. We have scrubbed them at least 10 times, on hands and knees, with everything we could think of, (each of the following full blast, not on the same day) Pine Sol, orange degreaser cleaning stuff, bleach, vinegar (actually soaked the floor with this, which made it smell like vinegar for a day or two, but then nothing. We even tried baking soda and a couple other things and the smell will not go away.

I talked to Home Depot and they sell a stain blocker that gets painted on the floor, for close to $200 per 5 gallons, (we would need 10 gallons). It seems pretty expensive, and I am wondering what else we could try that would be more cost effective. Does anyone knows if that would really work, or just be a waste of money? Any help is greatly appreciated. I would just look for something a little less expensive to try first. Thanks!

By Bryce3

Best Answer

Have you ever tried any of the Natures Miracle brand of cleaners? We moved into a 100 year old house that had been abandoned for 20 years. Racoons had been in the house and did their bidness. I purchased Natures Miracle and poured it full strength on spot where it was obvious they went. I let it sit there and dry naturally and the smell is gone. Petsmart sells it and its an enzyme cleaner so it actually breaks down the agents that cause urine to stink to begin with. Good luck!

Best Answer

The shellac paint that starts with a z sold at Home Depot is amazing and does work . I ised it on an area of sub flooring before putting down new floors and have never had the smell return. A few more things to try if you want to try and keep the floors unpainted would be to sand the whole floor. Then soak the floor in an enzyme hospital grade cleaner sold at most janitorial supply's or formula 99 get an air mover fan and let it dry. Using a stain or finish on the floor will also seal the floor and block odor. To re down a hard wood floor on your own shouldn't cost you more then $300-$400 is what it cost me to do about 1800Sq and 3 days work. I have flipped a few small homes and have had great feed back :)

Most pet stores (PetSmart, Petco, etc...) carry urine cleaner. I think it has special enzymes in it to break down the urine to the point the dog doesn't even smell it. I have a puppy that used to have accidents on my hardwood floor and I had trouble getting him to stop because I was cleaning with household cleaners. Has almost completely stopped accidents after using the urine cleaner.

I trjed everything and i bave had friends that have tried everything. The only thing that wirks is 2 coats of KIELS

March 17, 2012 Flag

I have a dog and he is peeing on the hardwood floors. How can I get the urine scent out? I had a rug there previously and he peed on that. I had to throw it away and the urine scent has never left. I have tried everything. Please help.

By S Ayers

Best Answer

I have used a product called "Urine Gone" with success.

Best Answer

Natures Remedy is good and I have had great luck with Fizzion.

Best Answer

Soak paper towels in hydrogen peroxide and leave it on the hardwood area for a good hour. You can see the urine (yellow) on the paper towel!

Note: this will lighted the stain of your hardwood; but the smell will be GONE.

I am going to try this today. I just pulled up a runner I had no idea was so soaked in urine. The smell is so strong after pulling up the rug. YUCK

March 30, 2008 Flag

I had a dog that did nothing but destroy the house. My rugs were always covered with urine. The dog has a home now and I know I need to rip up the carpets but what I need to know is how to get the odor out of the wood floor beneath the rug. I know it went through.

I want to get new carpets but need to be rid of the odors first. I heard of the vinegar and I have not tried it yet, but if I do does anyone know the mixture I must use? How much water and vinegar? I have also heard of lemon juice as well. Please help and thanks in advance.

Diane from NY

Best Answer

After you remove the carpet and the padding,the urine probably didn't seep through to the wood floor enough to cause it to smell after a good cleaning and drying. It is generally the pad under the carpet that holds the odor. I have used diluted bleach water, After a few moppings of that and allowed to air dry it was fine. I have had dogs in the house for 30 years, the carpet had to go. It is much easier to keep clean with wood, or tile floors. At times the dogs do soak the baseboard and a good cleaning with the diluted bleach water will help there too, It may take couple of times, but it does work.

Best Answer

My daughter bought a black light flashlight on website Wish. We turned off all the lights in the house and you could see the pee everywhere glowing! It was disgusting but you can see where U need to clean. Sometimes we think we r srubbing it up and really just smearing it all over. I would get that light to focus on cleaning those spots.Works well on walls and carpet as well. Clean until u cant see spots. Try Vinegar Tide and all the things everyone is saying. Then do the black light test again!

We had a rental that was so bad the smell burned your eyes when you walked in. We ripped up the carpet then sprayed the floor with an enzyme digester product from Cleanreport.com. This worked fantastic. Just to be safe, we then painted floor with Kilz. Smell has not returned!!

It's not a good idea to use ammonia to remove pet odors or stains . the problem is , that , to cats the ammonia smells allot like urine and this will continue to urinate in that spot, because, to them that's another toilet location.

This is info provided to me by our vet . ( I have 2 cats : a 30 lb female " COON " Cat and a 12 lb " female Blonde Taby ". )

Tried bleach, sanding, vinegar, and baking soda with not much help, I could still smell it. Finally, I used kilz premium, then painted, & carpeted. No more odor!

December 16, 2014 Flag

I am having a hard time keeping urine smell out of my home. One of my cats for some reason is peeing on the floor around his liter box instead of in it. I don't know why he started doing this. Is he trying to tell me something? Is he sick, is he mad at me for something? I don't understand. I need to know how I can stop him from doing this and what I can do to get rid of the urine smell on the wood floor and my carpet. Please help!

By Linda D. from Bellmawr, NJ

Best Answer

This behavior is the most common sign of a bladder infection. The cat associates the liter box with pain and begins to avoid it, thinking it can get away from the pain. You need to get your cat to the Vet right away to avoid having this behavior become habitual, and to relieve its' pain.

Your kitty may have a medical problem. Please take him to your vet to address and correct the behavior. He may need medication and your vet can help you with possible changes in his environment.

August 26, 2010 Flag

How do I remove dog urine odor from hardwood floors?

By LA from St. Louis, MO

Best Answer

Hydrogen peroxide will not darken the unfinished wood... it actually lightens stained wood. Soak paper towels with peroxide and set over soiled area. You'll be shocked to see the yellow urine absorbed... gross

Anyone use a floor steamer?

We have pre-finished hardwood. That means there's unsealed space between every board that pee can seep into almost immediately even though a sheet of paper won't fit in the cracks.

So when past pups have peed on the floor I've taken our floor steamer and put a bit of Woolite OxY Pet Cleaner, sometimes a bit of vinegar and quickly gone over the hardwood. I never mix two cleaners, and never add more than a bit of any cleaner to the water (less than 5% or so of the mix). Also I don't stop at any spot for more than a second or two to prevent hurting the wood or softening the finish. (I even open up a window because I don't want to breath whatever concoction I'm creating via steam.)

I'm not entirely sure if this has been effective buy my thinking was that the steam would inject itself further into any spaces between the floor boards.

We haven't had odor problems that we know of but our latest little pup is returning to the scene of the crime and repeat peeing. She may be smelling her past urination. So I'm hand spraying enough of that Woolite enzyme cleaner on the boards to let a bit soak into the spaces. I'm only leaving it there for 30 seconds at the most before wiping up though. I don't want blacken hardwood.

I'm looking forward to the day we have our floors refinished and hopefully all the fine seams sealed.

I've never mixed a bit of peroxide in the steamer water. Would that be safe?

Are you sure it's not the peroxide absorbing the surface finish up through the towel, not urine!

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 4, 2012
Products
100% All Natural Plant-Based Pet Stain and Odor Remover
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
cleaning products on a floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Odors on Floors
🎉
🎄