Browsing: Cleaning Pet Urine Odor From Hardwood Floors

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Pet Urine Odor From Hardwood Floors

Accidents happen, but removing urine odors from wood floors can seem like a big job. This is a guide about cleaning pet urine odors from hardwood floors.

Hardwood Floor
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 2, 2015 Flag

I have dogs and even though they go to the restroom outside if my kids don't let them out or they have a accident over night, as soon as we come in the house it smells like a dog kennel. I have hardwood floors and want to get the smell out naturally using the stuff I have at home. What can I use to get the smell out?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can Urine Off be used on hardwood floors?

my tenant left his dog in a room for 2 days and the dog did pee on wooden floor the smell of pees remain in room how can I remove the smell

Read More Answers...

December 16, 2014 Flag

I am having a hard time keeping urine smell out of my home. One of my cats for some reason is peeing on the floor around his liter box instead of in it. I don't know why he started doing this. Is he trying to tell me something? Is he sick, is he mad at me for something? I don't understand. I need to know how I can stop him from doing this and what I can do to get rid of the urine smell on the wood floor and my carpet. Please help!

By Linda D. from Bellmawr, NJ

Your kitty may have a medical problem. Please take him to your vet to address and correct the behavior. He may need medication and your vet can help you with possible changes in his environment.

This behavior is the most common sign of a bladder infection. The cat associates the liter box with pain and begins to avoid it, thinking it can get away from the pain. You need to get your cat to the Vet right away to avoid having this behavior become habitual, and to relieve its' pain.

January 9, 2014 Flag

I have been searching the internet, and have tried just about everything. Here's a little back story, we bought a fixer upper house, in a small town that we really love. We got a good deal (to be determined), in November, with the plans to be moved in sometime in spring.

This house was lived in by five bachelors, and needless to say, the house was pretty gross, and we still have a lot of work to do. We spent close to a month just scrubbing everything, walls, kitchen, ripping out the shower, and pretty much anything else that was really disgusting. Then we bought some paint and painted the walls. Now we are just waiting on more money to finish replacing things (shower, lights, doors, carpet, etc.).

The carpet was removed before we purchased the house, and it has natural hardwood floors, that are not in good shape. After really looking at them, we determined they are not worth refinishing, as it would cost a lot.

What we have noticed is that even after cleaning everything and painting, there is still this gross dog smell, (the dogs that lived there were gross, I felt bad for them). Through process of elimination, we know it is the wood floor. We have scrubbed them at least 10 times, on hands and knees, with everything we could think of, (each of the following full blast, not on the same day) Pine Sol, orange degreaser cleaning stuff, bleach, vinegar (actually soaked the floor with this, which made it smell like vinegar for a day or two, but then nothing. We even tried baking soda and a couple other things and the smell will not go away.

I talked to Home Depot and they sell a stain blocker that gets painted on the floor, for close to $200 per 5 gallons, (we would need 10 gallons). It seems pretty expensive, and I am wondering what else we could try that would be more cost effective. Does anyone knows if that would really work, or just be a waste of money? Any help is greatly appreciated. I would just look for something a little less expensive to try first. Thanks!

By Bryce3

I trjed everything and i bave had friends that have tried everything. The only thing that wirks is 2 coats of KIELS

The shellac paint that starts with a z sold at Home Depot is amazing and does work . I ised it on an area of sub flooring before putting down new floors and have never had the smell return. A few more things to try if you want to try and keep the floors unpainted would be to sand the whole floor. Then soak the floor in an enzyme hospital grade cleaner sold at most janitorial supply's or formula 99 get an air mover fan and let it dry. Using a stain or finish on the floor will also seal the floor and block odor. To re down a hard wood floor on your own shouldn't cost you more then $300-$400 is what it cost me to do about 1800Sq and 3 days work. I have flipped a few small homes and have had great feed back :)

Read More Answers...

March 17, 2012 Flag

I have a dog and he is peeing on the hardwood floors. How can I get the urine scent out? I had a rug there previously and he peed on that. I had to throw it away and the urine scent has never left. I have tried everything. Please help.

By S Ayers

Soak paper towels in hydrogen peroxide and leave it on the hardwood area for a good hour. You can see the urine (yellow) on the paper towel!

Note: this will lighted the stain of your hardwood; but the smell will be GONE.

Can I remove dog odor from porous wood floors

Read More Answers...

March 30, 2008 Flag

I had a dog that did nothing but destroy the house. My rugs were always covered with urine. The dog has a home now and I know I need to rip up the carpets but what I need to know is how to get the odor out of the wood floor beneath the rug. I know it went through.

I want to get new carpets but need to be rid of the odors first. I heard of the Vinegar and I have not tried it yet but if I do does anyone know the mixture I must use? How much water and vinegar? I have also heard of lemon juice as well. Please help and thanks in advance.

Diane from New York

Tried bleach, sanding, vinegar, and baking soda with not much help, I could still smell it. Finally, I used kilz premium, then painted, & carpeted. No more odor!

My daughter bought a black light flashlight on website Wish. We turned off all the lights in the house and you could see the pee everywhere glowing! It was disgusting but you can see where U need to clean. Sometimes we think we r srubbing it up and really just smearing it all over. I would get that light to focus on cleaning those spots.Works well on walls and carpet as well. Clean until u cant see spots. Try Vinegar Tide and all the things everyone is saying. Then do the black light test again!

Read More Answers...

August 26, 2010 Flag

How do I remove dog urine odor from hardwood floors?

By LA from St. Louis, MO

Hydrogen peroxide will not darken the unfinished wood... it actually lightens stained wood. Soak paper towels with peroxide and set over soiled area. You'll be shocked to see the yellow urine absorbed... gross

Are you sure it's not the peroxide absorbing the surface finish up through the towel, not urine!

Read More Answers...

June 8, 2013 Flag

How do I remove dog urine from finished wood floors? I have 2 puppies age 9 weeks and we are trying to paper train them. I have used a mix of white vinegar and water after cleaning up the urine, but the pups continue to pee and poop on the floor, not the paper.

By BAvinton

Try a puppy training spray that you can get in most pet stores. Spray it on the paper or the training pad.

March 24, 2012 Flag

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to remove cat urine odor from a hardwood floor? It seems to get a strong odor when the weather gets humid.

By Kandy

This works:

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Stain-Odo ... e=UTF8&qid=1333209241&sr=8-6

I would look around for a better price.

This will hurt ( warp.. stain ... lift up ) your wood floor cause its a liquid and you need to really spray a lot so it works

August 26, 2010 Flag

How do I get dog urine out of bare hardwood floors?

By Faith from Lakewood, CA

Answers:

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I'm not sure if you were planning on carpeting the floors or refinishing them or what.
    But, the only real way to mask the odor of urine on hardwood floors is to use a primer sealer called Bin.
    It is made by Zinsser and is shellac-based.
    You can brush, roll or spray it on and then paint over it or carpet over the top of it. (08/02/2010)

By Hawker19

July 25, 2010 Flag

How can I get rid of dog urine odor on hardwood floors? Bleach only worked for awhile.

By Joy from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I have had that problem and found that white vinegar can be helpful as it neutralizes the ammonia smell coming from the pee. Also sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda onto the area. It also helps absorb smell. If it doesn't completely eliminate the odour, at least no harm will come to you, pets, or environment!

Cheers, Vicki (03/22/2010)

By vicki57

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

getridofthings.com. (03/22/2010)

By dcnfamily

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

You must seal it with floor finish. (07/14/2010)

By johnflooring

March 21, 2010 Flag

I am trying to remove set in dog urine from old hardwood floors. It has been set in for a period of time. I have tried mopping with several things, nothing has helped. I now have a newborn who is staying with head congestion.
    I think this may be why. After I get this problem smell gone for good, I want to put down new floor covering. If anyone can tell me how to rid this smell for good it is appreciated. Thanks.

By Stephanie from LA

Answers:

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

The only thing I can think of that's not too unpleasant is enzymes. Walmart has an inexpensive brand which has a pleasant vanilla scent. The enzymes just eat anything biological or organic. It still might leave a stain, or maybe it would remove it.

Babies aren't supposed to be exposed to chemicals for cleaning, so this was the mildest thing I could think of. It's in the pet department. (11/12/2009)

By PIKKA

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I used peroxide full strength on my hardwood floors. The dog had peed on my floor and I did not know. It also turned my floor black, but over a couple of weeks the black and smell was gone. Good luck. (11/12/2009)

By grisluol

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

Mop it with hot vinegar water half and half and if that don't work then use less water in the mixture. Vinegar really does work. It's the best cleaner and disinfectant I've ever used. It does smell a little bad, but it the smell goes away fast (11/13/2009)

By mkm1enonly

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

Citrasolve or janitor supply Limonene. Citrasolve does wonders on carpet as well. Stain dissolves with no ring. Rids odor beautifully. Smells good, too. (11/16/2009)

By muttmom

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I raise Boxer puppies, so you can well imagine that I have encountered urine smells before. The best product I have found is called OUT! You can buy the small bottle at Wal Mart for $8.50 or a whole gallon at Kmart for $12.00. You just spray it on the floor and let it dry (it has never left a stain). It has an enzyme neutralizer in it, plus it smells very pleasant and fresh. I spray it on furniture, curtains, and carpet. I even put it in my carpet cleaner. Works great for cat urine, too. (11/18/2009)

By boxergirl76

Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

Use white vinegar. Just pour it on the spot. (11/18/2009)

By 1stborn

November 11, 2009 Flag

How can I get dog urine smells out of wood floors? Thanks for anyone's help.

September 1, 2009 Flag

I have hard wood floors, they need to be refinished, but I can't afford it right now. I have dogs that come in the house. They often use the bathroom on the floors and no matter what I use to clean them, I can't get the urine smell out.

March 30, 2008 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

April 1, 2007 Flag

My older, more dominant, dog is often peeing on our area carpet which invariably stains our hardwood floors, leaving a terrible urine smell.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 4, 2012
    A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
    Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
    Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
    Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
    Someone mopping hardwood floors
    Cleaning Hardwood Floors
    cleaning products on a floor
    Cleaning Pet Urine Odors on Floors
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 29, 2016 at 12:12:24 AM on 10.0.0.224 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.