Cleaning Pet Urine Odor From Hardwood Floors

Pet accidents on hardwood flooring can be difficult to clean, often leaving unwanted odors behind. Many natural remedies combine baking soda and vinegar to counteract lingering odors.

There are also many products that you can purchase, including odor eliminators like Odoban and enzyme cleaners like Natures Miracle. A final solution would be to paint or shellac over the problem area.

Read the posts below to see specific advice on how to remove pet odors from hardwood floors.

March 17, 2012 Flag

I have a dog and he is peeing on the hardwood floors. How can I get the urine scent out? I had a rug there previously and he peed on that. I had to throw it away and the urine scent has never left. I have tried everything. Please help.

By S Ayers

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have used a product called "Urine Gone" with success.

Best Answer

Natures Remedy is good and I have had great luck with Fizzion.

Best Answer

Soak paper towels in hydrogen peroxide and leave it on the hardwood area for a good hour. You can see the urine (yellow) on the paper towel!

Note: this will lighted the stain of your hardwood; but the smell will be GONE.

I am going to try this today. I just pulled up a runner I had no idea was so soaked in urine. The smell is so strong after pulling up the rug. YUCK

March 30, 2008 Flag

I had a dog that did nothing but destroy the house. My rugs were always covered with urine. The dog has a home now and I know I need to rip up the carpets but what I need to know is how to get the odor out of the wood floor beneath the rug. I know it went through.

I want to get new carpets but need to be rid of the odors first. I heard of the vinegar and I have not tried it yet, but if I do does anyone know the mixture I must use? How much water and vinegar? I have also heard of lemon juice as well. Please help and thanks in advance.

Diane from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

After you remove the carpet and the padding,the urine probably didn't seep through to the wood floor enough to cause it to smell after a good cleaning and drying. It is generally the pad under the carpet that holds the odor. I have used diluted bleach water, After a few moppings of that and allowed to air dry it was fine. I have had dogs in the house for 30 years, the carpet had to go. It is much easier to keep clean with wood, or tile floors. At times the dogs do soak the baseboard and a good cleaning with the diluted bleach water will help there too, It may take couple of times, but it does work.

Best Answer

My daughter bought a black light flashlight on website Wish. We turned off all the lights in the house and you could see the pee everywhere glowing! It was disgusting but you can see where U need to clean. Sometimes we think we r srubbing it up and really just smearing it all over. I would get that light to focus on cleaning those spots.Works well on walls and carpet as well. Clean until u cant see spots. Try Vinegar Tide and all the things everyone is saying. Then do the black light test again!

Had the same problem a few years ago. USE A Mask! But I was told 1 part bleach to four parts water. It will fizz them get the bleach off with hot water. You may need to repeat but it will work if it's not too bad. If the wood has black water spots it's too bad and your going to have to replace the floor.

I had this problem last year after I moved to the East Coast. My cat didn't handle the move well and messed everywhere except his litter box. I tried everything on my wood floors and area rugs that was recommended by a large number of wonderful members of Thriftyfun. Nothing worked completely until I read the hint about Listerine. I believe it was to fill a spray bottle half with Listerine and half with water. I sprayed it wherever he had 'visited' and it worked like a charm without harming my wood floors. After that, I confined him to the bathroom for a few weeks and when he was finally 'paroled', he was cured. Good luck to you. I would caution about using bleach near urine, though. Urine contains ammonia and the combination with bleach can be very dangerous.

We had a rental that was so bad the smell burned your eyes when you walked in. We ripped up the carpet then sprayed the floor with an enzyme digester product from Cleanreport.com. This worked fantastic. Just to be safe, we then painted floor with Kilz. Smell has not returned!!

It's not a good idea to use ammonia to remove pet odors or stains . the problem is , that , to cats the ammonia smells allot like urine and this will continue to urinate in that spot, because, to them that's another toilet location.

This is info provided to me by our vet . ( I have 2 cats : a 30 lb female " COON " Cat and a 12 lb " female Blonde Taby ". )

Tried bleach, sanding, vinegar, and baking soda with not much help, I could still smell it. Finally, I used kilz premium, then painted, & carpeted. No more odor!

This is the very best thing I've seen in my research! I have a cat pee problem on wood laminate for a rental property. Your post will help me know how/where to put my efforts!

Thank you for posting!

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 4, 2012
Products
100% All Natural Plant-Based Pet Stain and Odor Remover
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
cleaning products on a floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Odors on Floors
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 4:02:52 AM on 10.0.0.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.