Junior's Chili Recipe

I am looking for a recipe for chili like the kind Junior's puts on its burgers and fries.

GK from Winnipeg, Canada

I'm a Winnipegger living in California and Junior's is one of the places I miss the most ! Hope someone out there has that recipe !!!

Good luck, folks... I'm down in the US Southland and have never heard of Junior's, but if I could taste it I could probably come close to duplicating it. What can you identify in it? Is it sweet, hot and spicy, is there a hint of vinegar? Heavy on tomato or mustard? Is the meat all beef, or does it seem to contain pork or chicken or something? There's a guy near my town who makes hotdog chili without meat using potatoes, and a lot of folks like it (I was not impressed, but then I make the best hotdog chili on the planet).

Junior's chili

30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil

2 yellow onions, finely minced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 kg (2 lbs) lean ground beef

30 ml (2 tbsp) chili powder

15 ml (1 tbsp) ground cumin

15 ml (1 tbsp) dried oregano leaves

10 ml (2 tsp) unsweetened cocoa powder

10 ml (2 tsp) salt

5 ml (1 tsp) celery seeds

5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric

5 ml (1 tsp) cinnamon

2 ml (1/2 tsp) hot red pepper flakes

500 ml (2 cups) tomato juice

500 ml (2 cups) canned beef broth

60 ml (1/4 cup) cornmeal

Heat oil in Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.

Add ground beef and cook until brown, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes.

Combine chili powder with ground cumin, oregano, cocoa, salt, celery seeds, turmeric, cinnamon and hot red pepper flakes. Mix into ground beef and stir for 3 minutes. Add tomato juice and broth and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by 1/3, about 1 1/2 hours. Add cornmeal and stir for 2 minutes.

Can be prepared ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and freeze in airtight container up to 2 months or refrigerate up to 3 days. Warm over medium-low heat.

A bowl of homemade chili in a yellow bowl.
Homemade Chili Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat SoupsFebruary 15, 2007
Chili Soup
Chili Soup Recipes
pot of chili con carne
Chili Spaghetti Recipes
A large pot of chili, ready for canning.
Canning Chili
Stuffed Red Chili Peppers
Stuffed Chili Pepper Recipes