Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Outside cats can quickly wreak havoc on your flower beds. This is a guide about keeping cats out of flower beds.

May 26, 2011 Flag

My farm cats, seem to enjoy watching me garden. They have the run of the farm, but seem to love, doing their business in the flower beds, where I have just worked. I want to keep my flower beds off limits to the cats. Any suggestions?

By Sheila from Ontario

Best Answer

I heard you plant onions in the garden that you want to keep cats out of.

Best Answer

It was suggested to me that I bury chicken wire about 1/2" deep and cover with soil. Your plants will still come up but the cats like to dig and can't dig through the chicken wire so this discourages them.

Best Answer

I've been using coffee grounds also and that has helped me too!

August 3, 2010 Flag

What will keep cats from peeing in my flower beds?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would plant some coleus canina it is also called scare the cat plant. They do not like the smell of it nor do dogs the plant puts off the smell of a tom cat. But is not detected by our noses just their's. There are also sprays that are marketed to keep animals away but they have to be applied over and over again. Coleus canina is an annual so you plant it in the spring each year and your problem is solved.

You're gonna think I'm crazy. But I have a cat. And I don't appreciate him getting into my thornless blackberry bushes or my raised vegetable beds. In fact, no varmints are welcomed. A very old remedy, and believe me. It works. I collect first morning's urine from my husband, via one of the plastic Folgers Instant Coffee jars. The urine is distributed around the areas where they're not welcomed, very thin line along the way. Also, keeping the first inch or two of soil moist tends to turn them off.

Cayenne pepper. Replace after watering

April 17, 2013 Flag

How can I keep stray cats from urinating on my flowerpots? What is there that I can use as homemade cat repellent and stop them from using my garden as a bathroom?

By achongolele from Brandon, FL

Get a good squirt gun and fill it with water. Squirt the cat every time it comes into your garden or near your potted plants. It won't take long for kitty to decide your yard is not worth getting wet.

April 4, 2011 Flag

How can I keep cats out of garden beds?

By Lois from Toledo, OH

Sprinkle hot pepper on ground. Also Moth Balls work well and also spraying ammonia on the ground. I like the hot pepper myself. Good Luck and God Bless!

November 29, 2010 Flag

How do I stop pets (cats) from pooing and urinating in my flower beds?

By Chantal from Rancho Cordova, CA

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Well, this may not be relevant to your situation, but here is mine! I have a very large patch of sand I use for my desert gardening. The dang neighbor's barn cats were using it for their litter box. But this this year I added six new cacti - I think the cactus patch is thick enough now. Not a single new cat poop. Suggestion:? make it uncomfortable for them to use, pruned rose branches, red pepper, or pine cones. Wendopolis, Cyinda, PICO, and T&T Grandma have the right idea too. Different methods work for different situations. (07/16/2010)

By theoldgardenergal

August 3, 2010 Flag

I need a homemade cat repellent for around mulched outdoor plants (roses).

By Alex from Chino Hills, CA

Answers:

Cats in Flower Beds

I don't know if it works, but I've heard that cats don't like cloves. Maybe sprinkling ground cloves around the roses? Or, check with the local pet store/garden shop! (04/30/2010)

By mom of towers

Cats in Flower Beds

Moth balls! Sprinkle some around bed. If they keep getting in there, sprinkle more. (04/30/2010)

By suem1009

July 16, 2010 Flag

I live in the middle of nowhere. I have an outside cat that uses my flower beds as a litter box. I have tried mothballs, foil, human hair, sprays from stores and garden centers. None of these work.

She has now killed all of my plants. If I cannot find something that works, she is going to have to find a new owner, because the smell is horrible. Anything would be appreciated, because other than that she is a great cat!

By soon to be catless from OH

Answers:

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Try sprinkling cayenne pepper where you don't want the cat to go. Use a "lot", like enough to cover the ground thickly. This was the only thing that kept cats from digging in my flowers in CA. Good luck! (04/24/2009)

By Wendopolis

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Cats are supposed to hate citrus or orange smell. You might buy an orange or citrus scented room freshener at the $1 store and try spraying that on your plants. (You can also buy a high-end room spray made from real citrus at a health food store if the dollar store spray doesn't work.) Also put lemon, grapefruit, and/or orange peels in your flowerbed! Be sure to change them with new fresh peels every few days. You'll have to spray the plants once or twice a day until you cat finds somewhere else he prefers.

You could also make him an alternative place to go potty, by pouring sandbox sand in a spot fairly close to the flower bed. I bet you cat would prefer the sand to the garden eventually. Be sure to put his scent in the sand as a "calling card". This sand can be bought at Home Depot or Walmart. Ask for sandbox sand (it has no chemicals) the sand made for patios has a weedkiller in it. (04/24/2009)

By Cyinda

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

I heard that planting onion among flowers discourages the cats from the area.

Sheila (04/25/2009)

By Pennypacer

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Make a mix of equal parts of black pepper, cayenne pepper, dry hot mustard, and that pepper mix of ground peppers they use on pizza. Put in a shaker bottle and sprinkle where you don't want them. It works on dogs, too. After watering you will have to replace some about every 3-4weeks, I think. I use it around my yard and on the tops of walls and fences. It works well. (05/01/2009)

By c t

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Try coffee grounds. Keeps them out of my plants. (05/01/2009)

By catastrofy

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

I went to the store and bought a few bags of bamboo skewers and placed them about 6 inches apart in rows next to the plants in the flower bed the cat had no room to get in between the skewers and gave up trying. I left them there for the first season and the next they had no interest in the flower bed. The plants will eventually grow and hide the skewers so you will still have a pretty flower bed. Good luck. (05/01/2009)

By PICO

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Do you have pine trees nearby? Gather up many pine cones and place them amongst the flowers. (05/02/2009)

By Coll3

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Fencing. (05/02/2009)

By kimhis

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Please don't use moth balls. As you found they usually don't work and they are poisonous to cats. Get yourself some oranges and scatter the peels and segments too if you want around in your garden. You can also spritz the area with orange or lemon scented water. You will have to replace the peels with fresh ones after they have dried out and no longer have any scent. Just leave the old ones there and add new. I learned this years ago and have always kept my cats out of the Christmas tree with oranges on the bottom branches. Good luck. (05/02/2009)

By Needtoknow

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Just a short post script. Make sure your cat has some place else to do its business. You might consider leaving a litter box outside if you wish to keep it as an outdoor cat. Otherwise you don't leave her much choice as to where to go. (05/02/2009)

By Needtoknow

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

This would be a horrible problem to have. I use my flower beds for my herb gardens, mixing in here and there makes pretty gardens. Also use part of the flower garden for my cherry/grape/pear tomatoes and pepper plants. They like the flower beds better at my house (more attention?? maybe).

I guess try putting the cat on a leash for a while, curtailing the straying, chicken wire across the plants? Just plain squirt bottle of water and be there when it uses the garden? Make an outside litter box available? I don't know, I have got a German Shorthair dog who opens doors, cupboards, and helps herself. I finally started putting her treats in a glass jar, as she carries Tupperware off looking for snacks. Sometimes not as gentle in opening those! (05/23/2009)

By T&T Grandma

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

I had a serious problem with the neighborhood cats using our flower bed, usually at night. This cured them all the first time they came even close. Get a motion sensor light and hard wire it to a regular plug so you can plug it into a ground-fault protected outdoor plug-in. Buy an adapter to screw in to one of the light bulb sockets to plug in an old noisy skill saw or other junk tool that screams when you turn it on. (Remove the blade first.)

Use a zip-cord to lock the trigger on and set it up in the flower bed. Set the sensitivity you want and set the switch to "test" so it doesn't stay on long. Any animal that comes in range will get the fright of their life and never come near that area again. Just set it and forget it. Works in many areas, can make a good burglar alarm around outdoor equipment, vehicles, in sheds or whatever. (02/04/2010)

By crazyed

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Do not use black pepper. It is fatal to cats. (06/17/2010)

By Maryeileen

April 22, 2010 Flag

My cats are using my mulched rose garden as a potty box. What can I do to make them stop? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

April 24, 2009 Flag

How can I keep my cat from going to the bathroom in my flower garden? Any ideas? He has a litter box in the garage and does use it when the weather is bad.

April 28, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

October 19, 2007 Flag

June 1, 2007 Flag
Home and Garden Pest Control CatsApril 6, 2016
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
sunken garden beds
Sunken Beds for Arid Climates
curved flower beds
Shaping Flower Beds
🎄