Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

How can I keep cats out of garden beds?

By Lois from Toledo, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Debra [22]04/11/2011

Sprinkle hot pepper on ground. Also Moth Balls work well and also spraying ammonia on the ground. I like the hot pepper myself. Good Luck and God Bless!

Here are questions related to Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds.

Question: Keeping the Cats Out of The Flower Garden

Three cats sitting in the snowMy farm cats, seem to enjoy watching me garden. They have the run of the farm, but seem to love, doing their business in the flower beds, where I have just worked. I want to keep my flower beds off limits to the cats. Any suggestions?

By Sheila from Ontario

Most Recent Answer

By Janus06/12/2011

Citrus peels spread around your garden should help, cats don't like the smell of citrus. I would be afraid to put moth balls in the garden tho. Sure do like the idea of chicken wire! I have heard that keeps out squirrels too. I am going to try that with my bulbs this fall.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

How does one keep cats out of flower beds without spending a lot of money?

Alice from Arkansas

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

One thing I can tell you NOT to do is to sprinkle any kind of pepper (especially black pepper) in your flower beds! This is a remedy that some people suggest but it is harmful, and can even be fatal, to cats! (01/30/2006)

By Maryeileen

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

I have had good success putting drops of citric essential oil at 1-2 foot intervals around my beds. I renew once a month or so. Even here on the coast this method keeps our cat our of my salad beds. (both orange and lemon work well) The first time I used the oil I put it in the beds as well. After that just around the perimeter seems to do the trick. Perhaps lemon scented herbs would work as well. (01/30/2006)

By Rene

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

If you place citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit) peels in your flower beds. It really does work. We have three stray cats that used to use my flower beds as a litterbox. Someone told me about it, tried it and they haven't used it ever since. The only thing is about every two weeks I have to replace the peels. Which I don't mind, if it keeps them out. Cats hate citrus. (03/28/2007)

By Lisa

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

NOT RECOMMENDED:

*** chili powder, red crushed pepper, cayenne pepper (NOT recommended), it gets on the cat's paws then they wash themselves and they get it in their eyes, beware cats have literally scratched their eyes out because of this. Even if it's one cat out of 500 infected in this way, that's one too many for me.

*** Don't ever use mothballs or flakes. Those little toxic waste pellets destroy cats' kidney function, could seriously harm people who handle them, and yes, contaminate your own garden soil. Their packaging even warns against using them this way.

I got this info from this website: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rmgard/msg051314006160.html. link to this site for further info and on a side note just to let any of you know that are thinking of using these types of items, it can be linked back to you by the spca and there are laws that protect animals against cruelty . (05/22/2007)

By victoria32

How do I keep cats out of my flower beds? Our neighborhood is overrun with strays. Any fresh dirt is swarmed with cats! NASTY! Last summer I even had a 10 in planter that a cat did it's business in. How do I keep them out with minimal to no expense? Jody from WYOMING

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Those prickly round balls from trees called sweet gum balls, the kitties don't like to touch them with their claws. I know of some people on this website that will send them to you (at least I've seen them post this before) they have so many! (06/02/2007)

By michawnpita

alabama

I had the same problem. I tried a lot of the things posted here, but the only thing that worked for me, is covering my beds with decorative rocks. Since the rocks, they don't come around to scratch and use the restroom in my plants. (06/05/2007)

By r

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

My brother in law put down mouse traps where the trays were digging in their beds. Once they got pinched they never come back to his bed again. (06/05/2007)

By Karen

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Put chicken wire on top of the dirt - cats (and other animals don't like walking on it). You could also try putting metallic pinwheels (whirly gigs, etc) around the perimeter. I've heard of using it for deer and other small animals, so it may work for cats, too. The motion and the reflective nature of the metallic pinwheels scare the animals away. (06/07/2007)

By

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Bamboo skewers stuck point up in the dirt will discourage them and they're really, cheap. (06/07/2007)

By Marna

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

To keep cats out of my flower beds I use moth balls. I scatter them all over. They don't hurt the plants either. I got this tip off of the internet. Works great. Have never had a cat return. Hope this helps. (06/07/2007)

By Janette

Help! My cats are using my mulched rose garden as a potty box. What can I do to make them stop. These are not house cats, they are all strays that have taken up residence. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Trinidad from Granger, WA

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Thorny rose bushes is said to keep them out. Sure, they might get a thorn. Just trim off some branches & lay them in the rows. (10/19/2007)

By melody_yesterday

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Had the same problem with large indoor potted ferns. I just sprinkled cayenne pepper on the dirt surrounding the plant. One sniff and they quit using the plant as a potty. The cayenne will dissipate after a bit so just sprinkle again. (10/23/2007)

By Cherokee

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

I have used the orange and lemon peels myself and it works great this will also keep raccoons out as well. (03/21/2008)

By Karen 1010

How can I keep my cat from going to the bathroom in my flower garden? Any ideas? He has a litter box in the garage and does use it when the weather is bad.

Sheila from Canada

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Cats hate the smell of oranges. I scatter the peelings all over my flower beds. No cats in sight. (04/29/2008)

By Ashleybunkin

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

I was having the same problem. I decided to try placing a lot of pine cones in my beds. The cats hate them. Good luck (06/06/2008)

By Kathy

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Flower Beds

Never put cayenne or any other kind of pepper down. Cats have been known to scratch their eyes out trying to get rid of the pain, and I'm sure you would not want that to happen. (02/07/2009)

By sophiecat

I have an outside cat that uses my flower beds as a litter box. Anything would be appreciated, because other than that she is a great cat!

How do I stop pets (cats) from pooing and urinating in my flower beds?

My outside cat goes to the bathroom by the front door and flowers.

By Michael from Auburndale, FL