Reuse Plastic Jars for Freezing Food

Never buy plastic containers again! I wash and reuse all the larger plastic jars (with plastic screw-on lids) that mayonnaise, peanut butter, and such come in. I use them for freezing soups, sauces, gravies, and any leftovers. They work great! You can also use them when taking food to friends and you don't have to worry about getting your container back. We usually throw them away, but, why not reuse and recycle. The great thing is, they are free!

By Patty from East Peoria, IL

Unless the recycle number stamped on the bottom of the jar or bottle says #2, #4 or #5 this is not a safe thing to do because the others leach cancer and other disease causing chemicals. Please check the bottom of the jars or bottles you want to reuse and you'll find most are #1 which is one of the worst leaching offenders when reusing for food or beverages :-(

Dear Patti, Your idea is wonderful although, if the containers have the recycle symbol on them they should not be reused because it is unsafe. They are not made to be reused.

Try empty and cleaned pop bottles and milk cartons. Also you can put dry goods (rice, flour, sugar,etc) in them too.

I keep all the jars and lids. The lids mostly for jar top on mason jars. All kinds of jars not just plastic. I use a plastic jar to hold my extra grocery bags in the emergency kit of the car. If I pump gas or put oil in I use the bags as gloves. Plastic I like better as the breakage is none.

Uses for Plastic Jars
Uses for Plastic Jars
Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceOctober 22, 2010
Uses for Baby Food Jars, Three Jars Full of Baby Food
Uses for Baby Food Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants