Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

How To Convert Dry Macaroni Measurements

Does anyone have a conversion chart for dry macaroni just how many cups is 8 oz.?

Jo

By

By LR (Guest Post)03/29/2008

The answer is: 1 3/4 cups of dry elbow macaroni = 8oz.

I have this same problem with a macaroni recipe that calls for 8oz of elbow mac. and I always have a 16 or 32 oz box. I figured this out by measuring a whole 16oz box, then dividing that measurement by half - the real trick was to write it down so I could remember the next time!

By jsham (Guest Post)09/12/2007

Most containers will give the approximate number of servings, as well as the number of servings in the container. Say the size of the box is 16 oz. and the number of servings is 8,with serving size being 1/2 cup. With this you can figure the results you need. In this case, 16 oz. (total weight);8 servings per container; 1/2 cup per serving. So, if there is 8 servings in 16 oz. then 2 oz. is a serving, and 2 oz. equils 1/2 cup. This means that there are 4 cups in l6 oz. so 8 oz. would be 2 cups.
I hope I have made this clear (I have taken these number amounts from my box of elbow macaroni. so I feel it is pretty accurate.

By Deborah Jones09/12/2007

You may want to buy a small kitchen scale. There is no conversion for weight to volume. 1 cup of elbow macaroni might weigh 8 oz, but depending on the size and shape, the weight/volume ratio will change.

By louel53 (Guest Post)09/12/2007

I think this may depend on the recipe. If you are measuring by volume, not weight, one cup is eight ounces. If this is a recipe that comes from a North American cookbook, it is my guess that you are measuring volume.

By Marge Mayhew [2]09/11/2007

I got out my small scale and box of elbow macaroni. According to my scale 8 oz of macaroni is 1 3/4 cups.

By jo (Guest Post)09/11/2007

I think I wrote it wrong. I would like to know how many cups of dry macaroni is 8oz, 16oz,ect. I buy large boxes of pasta and recipes calls for 7 or 8 oz of macaroni.

By mem (Guest Post)09/10/2007

My mother in law taught me that if you put macaroni in a bowl you can expect it to double in size, whatever the kind. That's how she always measured for individual servings or for family style servings. It's always worked for me.