Poll: How often does your family eat meat?

This poll asks: "How often does your family eat meat?". Feel free to submit any tips you have for saving money on meat.

Related Articles:

We eat meat everyday & almost every meal. My husband thinks a meal without meat isn't a meal at all & that I'm trying to starve him. But we've cut our comsumption of beef to a minimum in the last 2 years. We'll have chicken, or some form of fish or ground turkey more often than red meat. This seems to satisfy hubby. If it were up to him, we'd have red meat every night, if not every meal.

We never cook meat at home. Meat has too many bad side effects. Instead we have fish. We also do not cook poultry unless it is free range. The normal meat and chicken from the grocery store is not very good. My husband also used to think he had to have meat at every meal. It took about 6 months to "wean" him off the meat, but know he is fine and doesn't like meat anymore.

My husband liked more loaf than meat in his meatloaf. I learned to use only a fourth of the meat that was called for in most recipes and made up the difference with veggies, beans, rice, or pasta.

I still love a steak or pork chop or piece of chicken and fish is always on Fridays.

Can someone tell me why fish isn't considered meat?

Love & Prayers,

We eat red meat once a week at the most....My husband is on the Zone diet (works awesome - so much more energy) but before that we went in on 1/3 of a cow with two other people; saves us a ton of money (only 2 bucks per pound for various cuts and ground.) Because our boys do not like beef, we eat more chicken turkey and pork. That saves money, because they tend to cost less. We use the crockpot and stirfry a lot, and have a pizza once in awhile or lasagna from the take n-bake store. We found that gardenburger mix is great for meatloaf and stretching out the ground turkey (though i don't think we'll EVER eat it as a substitute!) I can't give up red meat, be it beef or wild....

As a family of two... myself and my cat... I can speak for my family: meat is essential. Veggies are nice and look very cool next to a large piece of red meat, but they cannot constitute a meal. I also love pork, slowly barbecued with lots of smoke, and ditto chicken, quail, frog legs, etc. For economy I like finding special prices on whole sirloin tips. I use an electric knife to cut a few steaks, roasts, whatever is needed. I usually grind a few pounds for burgers or chili and make a large beef stew. The stew keeps well in portion-size freezer bags, as does the chili. A large sirloin tip can keep me going for quite a while. My cat seems to prefer fish but she is afflicted with a severe speech impediment so she doesn't get a vote.

To my recollection, fish is not considered meat because it is not a warm-blooded animal.

Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
A meatless recipe of felafel and nan bread.
Reducing the Amount of Meat You Eat
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest