Getting Your Family to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables

Fruits and Vegetables
Getting the family to eat a more healthy diet is often a challenge. This is a guide about getting your family to eat more fruits and vegetables.

My 18 month old is going through a stage where all the veggies wind up on the floor. Because I am always anxious about getting veggies in him, I devised a new way to get them in his mouth!

I bought several popsicle trays at my local dollar store. I pureed fruit, yogurt, and veggies (generally the sweeter ones) together and poured them in the trays. Now after he eats his dinner, he gets a popsicle for dessert-- except he's also getting his veggies! :)

My son loves these, and will excitedly ask for his "sickles."

By MamaSarah from Lansing, MI

I have a child who is a very picky eater, and I worry that he is not getting enough vegetable nutrients. So one thing I do to make sure he gets at least some veggies is I will cook a one-pot meal, with tons of different vegetables, a starch like wheat or rice, and a meat like chicken.

Cooking all of the food in one pot lets all the vitamins and nutrients in the veggies cook into the broth/gravy and the rice or noodles absorb it too. Also, my son will eat some of the veggies without even noticing because they are tender and mixed in with the whole meal.

By Shannon from Lakewood, OH

All kids love their mac n' cheese. Whether it is your homemade recipe or out of the package and into the microwave, follow the directions on making your Mac n' cheese, and add broccoli florets, mixed frozen veggies, frozen corn, green beans etc...

For the microwave version, add a little extra water, if needed, and cook 4:00 minutes instead of 3:30 minutes. If cooking a box mix on the stove, add veggies for the last two minutes of cooking time.

If adding vegetables to your homemade casserole, add 15 minutes before done cooking, stir it in, and return to oven to finish cooking.

Kids love the broccoli and mac n' cheese the best! And now it's healthy!

Getting Kids to Eat Veggies

If you have children who turn up their noses at cooked veggies, puree some of the cooked veggies and then add them to your soup, stew, etc. I also chop coarsely cooked peas, carrots, and potatoes and add them to my meat loaf mix. It makes the meat loaf extremely moist and the kids are none the wiser.

This has worked for my daughter for many years and I now I do it for the grandchildren as well.

By Kay Mathias from South Fulton, TN

Blended Vegetables

Will your kids eat stew but pick out the vegetables they don't like? To sneak more healthy vegetables into your picky eaters try blending the vegetables to a pulp with a cup or two of water and then pour this into your soup or stew stock.

Of course, you have to season this stock well so they won't taste the vegetables. Add coloring or Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce if necessary to make it look like a brown stock.

By Seagrape

Dipping Sauce

Encourage your children to eat more fruits and veggies by giving them something healthy to dip them into. A yogurt based salad dressing is good for dipping veggies, and fruit yogurt is great for dipping fruit.

By Linda

Vanilla Yogurt Dipping Sauce

I found a great healthy snack that my kids love and it's simple. Slice up an apple and serve with vanilla yogurt to dip them in. My kids eat a lot more apples and yogurt now. It's great with grapes too!

By Mom in LA

Roasting Vegetables

Try roasting your veggies especially brocolli, cauliflower, zuchinni and carrots in the oven. If you toss the veggies in a little bit of olive oil with italian seasoning or other spices and put in oven until tender. The veggies lose their sulfur taste and become sweet - at least to me. Also zuchinni coated with olive oil and parmesan cheese and cooking in oven.

By Creaky

Veggies in the Spaghetti Sauce

One way to make spaghetti sauce go even further is to add frozen mixed veggies. It's one way to get picky children to eat their veggies without them even realising vegetables have been consumed.

By Bev in OZ

Turn eating their veggies into a game. Give them some dice, let them roll the dice and then eat the amount of peas, beans, or whatever it is on the dice. Now some kid's will do it, unfortunately some will not. It's worth a try.

My friend is caring for her aging father-in-law, who has refused to eat most vegetables. I know this is a problem with many kids, too, and I have found a very simple solution.

This is a great way to cut out some of the carbohydrates from your mashed potatoes, and sneak some veggies in. Clean, cut up, and steam or microwave a head of cauliflower until it's soft, then put it in the blender or food processor, and process it into a fine puree (add water as needed)...

Having a hard time getting your kids to eat fruit? Use different shaped cookie cutters to turn fruit into fun shapes. Fruit like watermelon, honeydew or pineapple are easy to cut.

To get my family to eat more fruits and vegetables I cut them all up (like apples, or peel oranges) and put them in single servings in a plastic bag. So they can just grab what they want and not have to worry about fixing it themselves. It helps me to eat my fruit too!

Getting my toddlers (and my husband) to eat their peas is always a hassle. Getting my ravenous son to wait two seconds for his spaghetti to cool so he doesn't scorch his mouth is even harder.

Does someone in your house just refuse to eat fruit often enough to get the daily requirements like in mine. I used to purchase canned fruit that he would eat.