Sneak Vegetables Into Your Dinner!

This is a great way to cut out some of the carbohydrates from your mashed potatoes, and sneak some veggies in. Clean, cut up, and steam or microwave a head of cauliflower until it's soft, then put it in the blender or food processor, and process it into a fine puree (add water as needed). Then mix the puree in with your regular mashed potatoes.

I also added a bit of instant potato flakes (like Potato Buds) to thicken things up a bit. Season with olive oil, a bit of butter, and a dash of garlic powder and black pepper.

I just tried this at dinner today, and my husband and 5-year-old not only didn't complain, they both had second helpings!

By Lynne

Great idea! And if your family is the adventurous type, try substituting peas (for green mashed potatoes) carrots (for orange) or a tiny bit of beet (for purple). It might be the colors that entice the younger ones to eat them!

My children have veggies that are preferred over other veggies. But---I`ve never had to hide or sneak veggies into their tummies. I fed them fruit and veggies right from the time they were on solid foods for the first time.

They got used to eating a variety of foods from the start and now there are very few foods they do not want to eat. If you don`t start out right then it`s much harder to retrain our likes and dislikes. Miranda

I have always fed vegetables to my children, but they do not like potatoes, especially mashed! We end up eating alot of carrots and tomatoes, but I add extra veggies to spaghetti sauce (like broccoli, the best veggie to eat!) They will reluctantly eat peas, but they do get at least one servings of veggies, plus 2-3 of real fruit/plus 1 real juice a day.....better than nothing, I guess!

By Barb (Guest Post)

I chop carrots and other veggies and add them to my meatloaf. The kids never even notice they are there.