Getting More Veggies into Your Kid's Diet

I have a child who is a very picky eater, and I worry that he is not getting enough vegetable nutrients. So one thing I do to make sure he gets at least some veggies is I will cook a one-pot meal, with tons of different vegetables, a starch like wheat or rice, and a meat like chicken.

Cooking all of the food in one pot lets all the vitamins and nutrients in the veggies cook into the broth/gravy and the rice or noodles absorb it too. Also, my son will eat some of the veggies without even noticing because they are tender and mixed in with the whole meal.

By Shannon from Lakewood, OH

Good idea. He'll probably be eating you out of house and home by the time he gets into his teens.

Our son was not a good eater when he was 4-5 years old, but when he started to school, he got a lot better, and first thing you know, he was getting round like his mother. LOL.

He's still a bit round, but is over 6 ft tall too. They eat when they get ready as long as they're not getting a lot of sweets between meals. Don't worry too much. Sounds like you're doing a good job.

Pookarina

Good thinking! They say a lot of nutrients are lost in cooking water. This saves all those nutrients and gets them into your child painlessly. Plus they have to be getting some of the flavor of the veggies in the broth. By the way, the food in your pic looks delicious!

Another way to get veggies into kids, is to remove them from the soup or stew and blend in the blender with some of the liquid. This way they get all the veggies without realizing it. My veggie-hating kids always remarked how good the "gravy" was. Good Luck!