Removing Cat Pee Odor from Carpet

My cat who is being treated for a UTI is adamant that he will continue to pee on the carpet in the same area rather than use his litter box; however, he does use the box at times, it varies. I've use peroxide, vinegar, and baking soda in past, but I am out of it at home. Sometimes it worked; sometimes it didn't. My question: I do have rubbing alcohol in my cabinet at this time,. Does anyone know if this will discourage a cat from peeing on the carpet once he smells this strong, unpleasant odor?

By Kathy

I don't know if rubbing alcohol will help at all. I'd be wary of pouring/spraying it onto my carpet. You should go pick up an enzymatic cleaner the next time you're at the store. I've gotten some at Petsmart and Wal-Mart, but have seen it at other stores, too. Head to the area of the store where they have pet cleaning supplies. The enzymes actually break down the biological residue, so there is no odor left for the cat to find.

If your cat has been using the same spot repeatedly, I suggest you treat the area a few times, making sure you saturate it (follow the directions on the bottle). I had a cat that decided he liked to poop in a certain corner of our computer/kitty litter room. I got one of those plastic carpet protectors from an office supply store (so that a rolling desk chair doesn't dig into the carpet) and placed it over the spot he was using. I don't know if it was the change in texture, or if he couldn't smell the spot anymore, but he stopped (and went back to the box).

Good luck with the pee, and I hope your kitty is feeling better soon!

I have read that it is common for a cat to pick a soft place to urinate when then have a UTI. As the person previously said, saturate the carpet because if the urine goes down deep and you are only spraying the top it will be ineffective. I don't know if there is a training pad (like they have for puppies) that could be put on top of the litter to make a softer feel to his feet until his UTI is cleared up or not, but it might be worth getting a Chux to try.

My cats do not like the smell of lemon, citrus. It might be worth it to squeeze the juice of one in that area and see if he stops using it. Grate some peel on the area! Of course, he may just switch areas, cats are strange creatures. I have four; three males and one female. Never thought I would like cats but these adopted us one at a time. And I find them quite interesting.

I mixed up white vinegar and water l/2 cup of white vinegar to gal or less of water. Then I took a couple handfuls of baking soda and put on the place where the pee was and all around it making a white place on the carpet and poured the hot vinegar water into that place. It fizzes and soaks all the way to the base floor, ours is concrete, and then I take the shampooer and just pull the liquid out of the carpet.till no water comes up and let dry. After it is dry I put garlic powder and Black Pepper sprinkled all around the area he liked. He didn't go there again. Doesn't like the garlic and pepper and the vinegar and soda took care of the odor. This is just what I have done that worked.

If your cat keeps peeing in the same spot, shampoo area then put cardboard box on top then the litter pan, keep changing paper box,helps get rid of order, I also put plastic on top of box then litter pan. It has helped me with my cat using his box again and the plastic catches accidents which you roll up and throw away.

The is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway (onlynaturalpet.com and many pet stores). It is pricey. It comes in a spray and diffuser. Cats will not mark where it is sprayed. It works very well (spray is best, diffuser helps) but you must use it daily, or even twice daily. Be sure you have gotten rid of as much odor as you can with the enzymatic cleaner (it can take a day or two to dry) I like Natures Miracle. Many pet stores carry it.

cat on carpet
Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJuly 12, 2011
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
🎉
🎄