Decorating a Living Room With Blue Grey Carpet and Maroon and Beige Curtains

I just moved into a new apartment with bluish grey carpet in the living room. My mother-in-law just gave me some expensive maroon and beige curtains. I have no idea how to decorate with these colors. Luckily, I have not bought any furniture yet. Any ideas on paint, furniture, or should I just put new carpet?

By Katherine from Brooklyn, NY

Answers

The color that you have the most of in a room can be considered a neutral. If this blue/grey carpet is what I think it is, it could be considered a neutral. I have lived in several rentals and learned a long time ago that you can't worry about matching or co-ordinating colors. I don't think anybody expects a rental to be perfectly decorated, unless you are filthy rich. I guess when it comes to furniture I would be more concerned with finding things that go with the curtains instead of the carpeting because when you move you won't be taking the carpeting with you. You could also get a burgandy or beige colored area rug to put over the carpeting, thereby covering a good portion of the carpet.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Living RoomMay 8, 2010
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
🎄
🍂