Don't Let Your Dog Chew on Corn Cobs

I know some bigger dogs love corn on the cob, but PLEASE don't let your dogs eat the leftover cob! It doesn't digest in their stomach and if it gets clogged, he could need surgery to get it out.

My vet always told me to give my dog peanut rice when he wasn't feeling well. Then I talked to an herbalist who really knew about dogs, she told me that dogs also do not have the proper enzymes in their systems to digest rice. Ever since then I don't give my dog rice or food with rice in it. He is a lot more active!

By ivorylov from Ocala, FL

The rice part makes no sense. Why do dog food companies have lamb and rice dog food? Rice is easier for a dog to digest.

I agree with pabk on the rice. After my dog survived having parvo the vet put her on a special canned food diet that consisted of potatoes and rice. It is easy for them to digest and won't upset their stomachs.

Starxmm, I think you read Ivorluv's post wrong. She suggests not to give dogs rice. I have to agree with pabk, why is there rice in dog food if it is so hard to digest? I think maybe your herbalist should stick to her herbs and let the pet care to a vet. Just my view.

What is your vet's name and address? And what is peanut rice?

So, you think that an herbalist knows more about dog nutrition than a vet trained in animal care and physiology. I pity your dog.

We have three greyhounds. Our vet has always told us to feed them chicken and rice if they show signs of stomach ailments, such as diarrhea or lack of appetite.

After a while it seemed easier to feed them chicken and rice from the get go, so twice a day that is what they eat.

The rice is easy enough, 3 to 1 ratio water to rice in a $8 rice cooker I bought at Walgreen's.

The chicken is slow cooked in a crockpot. After it has cooled and the meat stripped away, the remnants go back into the crockpot over night to make a broth.

Occasionally chicken livers are substituted for chicken and are always well received.

Shop wisely for your chicken, $.79/lb is a fair price. It will work out to be less costly than canned dog food and you need not worry about something like the bad Chinese dog food misadventure that transpired a couple years ago.

Also have to chime in here about the rice; we've had a lot of dogs over 40+ years, and one that had skin problems was helped immensely by feeding clinical "bland" foods, like venison and rice, that are easy on not only the digestive system, but the immune system in general.

As far as the corncob feeding for any dog, big or small, thumbs up to the OP. We had friends who had no clue that their dog had gotten into the BBQ trash and chowed down on a whole corncob. Within two days, when they figured out he wasn't feeling right, a trip to the vet ended up with him losing part of his intestines, which had been blocked and began dying off.

Two thousand dollars ( and a week of touch-and-go) later, the dog survived but has had feeding issues since.

If you've got a dog that is game for eating anything, bag up the dangerous stuff, corncobs, poultry bones, wooden skewers, after the cookout immediately after cleaning up from your meal and get them into your outdoor trash. It only takes a second for your back to be turned and your dog to dive into the kitchen can.

What the heck is peanut rice? I fed my dog lamb and rice when she had allergies as my vet suggested. I would stick with vet advice, not herbalist when it comes to pets. You might try another vet for a second opinion.

Rice is the simplest foods for the digestive system, from Feeding Children International, the nutritionists that deal with dying children, adding the rest of the mix of vitamins in their food kit has saved the lives of many. I have the reports from some Zambia orphanages on the health changes.

Bringing this back to the canine and rice, lamb and rice is the first form of solids a pup should be moved to when weaned. Many studies have been done by the top dog food companies. You can get the nutrition studies from any of them. My dog is 9 yrs old and is on their mature version, and yes, it still includes rice.

If you are fixing rice as a whole for your own dog, choose brown rice or wild rice. As the same for humans, that with less processing is still better.

Dog food containing corn is the questionable component. Dogs who eat corn related dog food will have more poop piles in the yard, it does not break down, again, the same for humans. You will find more allergies related to the corn component.

As with humans, rice is the simple, least complex grain that is the basis for the first solid food of humans, the first to be given when digestive issues are ongoing, when you have the flu, etc. However you fix it, gently cooked in water, steamed in milk, broth, it is a basic staple world wide.

Question of peanut rice: it is a recipe using white rice, chopped peanuts, peas and any number of spices depending on your culture.

Vets which promote natural home prepared diets for your animals always put fresh fruits and veggies at the tops of their lists. I do not give bought snacks to my shorthair. She loves fresh green beans, bananas, apples, sweet potatoes, just to name a few. The vet said if at any time she would have a stomach distress, cooked squash is in order to help move out the issue.

Cats diets need meat proteins, as well as other things. Dogs diets are not meat dependent.

I agree that corn cobs, as well as chicken bones and pork chop bones, are a definite no no.

However, after reading the ingredients on several different dog foods, I started using 3 cups of water (broth if I had any) and adding a boullion cube, 1and 1/2 cups rice, and whatever kind of meat I have available. I bring this to a boil, cover, turn the heat on low and cook for 20 minutes. I turn the stove off, add a can of cream of chicken soup, and any two of the following: green beans, peas, carrots, field peas, black eye peas, pinto beans, or mixed vegetables. A little salt is added, and garlic powder (for fleas). This is all mixed well, and it makes enough food for four meals for a Boxer and a Pomeranian mix. Sometimes I mix a small amount of kibbles with it in their bowls.

The food is stored in the medium sized rubbermaid screw top containers and kept refrigerated.

If there are a few veggies left over from dinner, they sometimes go direct into the boxer's bowl. I can't ask for any healthier or active dogs.

Pets HealthMay 19, 2009
A man giving his dog a Kong dog toy.
Filling Ideas for a Kong Dog Toy
Petstages Chew Toys
Petstages Chew Toy Reviews
Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
🎄