Crepe Myrtle Blooms Not Opening

I've had a crepe myrtle for 10 years that has never flowered. It is full of buds, but the buds never open to bloom. The tree looks healthy and would be beautiful if the blooms would open to flowers.

The tree is in a west location in the middle of the yard and it gets sun from mid-morning to night. It is watered once to twice a week (although during rainy periods it receives more water than that). Is there a flowerless variety that I happen to have, or can I take some action to get my crepe myrtle to flower?

By Rosie from New Port Richey, FL

Best Answer

I'm not sure, but it sounds like either too much or not enough water. Call your local nursery and ask them. They know the right information for your climate.

Best Answer

I would have your soil test and the results discussed with a horticulturist. It may be a plant that requires specific minerals or soil conditions in order to bloom, or some plants require 2 to propagate each other.

Do you have any ants? These flowers are similar to peonies in that the ants eat all the sweet sticky stuff off the blooms. If they don't, then the blooms remain stuck shut and won't open.