KitchenHome Improvement

Cabinet Color for Small Kitchen

I have a small kitchen, I would like to know the best combination for the cabinets and countertops? Would you recommend the dark cabinets or light? I have white tile floors. Thanks.

Elizabeth from Puerto Rico

My kitchen is quite small and I have light maple cabinets and white counter tops. You already have white floors so I think a light grey or medium grey would be nice. I'd shy away from real "colors" for the counter tops because to change them when you tire of the color would be a pain. I'd add color in things that are easy to change: curtains, pictures, cabinet knobs, maybe a rug.

I would keep the color light also. Dark colors make a small area seem even smaller. If your cupboards are white you can add a splash of color with fancy door knobs and pulls. When we sold a home with a small kitchen, the real estate guy said to paint everything almond color. It actually did improve the appearance of the small kitchen. I also had a white tiled floor. If you could spring for some colorful backsplash tiles, that would add some real zing to the look without causing a closed in feeling. Hope this helps.

Just be sure there is contrast between the cabinets and the counters to keep the visual appeal. If you do light cabinets, you can get away with dark counters. Check out in-store displays to see what appeals to you.

We have a small kitchen and had dark cabinets with yellow countertops. We painted the cabinets white and what a difference it made! It looks so much larger in there now. I have light blue countertops and pecan floors...maybe that helped also.