Choosing a Kitchen Cabinet Color

Category Kitchen
Determining what color will be best for your kitchen cupboards can be fun. This guide is about choosing a kitchen cabinet color.

What color kitchen cabinets would I get, if I have oak hardwood floors?

By Trisha from Oak Park, IL

Answers

White cabinets will go with any color,I sug to use a paint that you can wash with ease,no flat paint,good luck.

We painted our cabinets a mustard color with our light oak hardwood floors and it looks great.

Any color will go with oak floors, so think about whether you want a rich cherry or a light maple or something inbetween. Check out online sites or go walk through kitchen displays in the stores. It really helps to see it in person. Also have to think about countertop-- how much contrast do you want?

I have white marble countertops and white appliances in my kitchen. I painted my cabinets black, I thought the contrast would be good, but I really do not like the black cabinets. Can you suggest a color to repaint them

By Helen

Answers

If you want a different color of the cabinets, a light tint will cast upon the walls near the cabinets; just make sure the color is what you really like.
Since you're not quite sure of the color to choose, a brighter color of yellow is cheerful, warm and inviting. If you went with a light pastel color, it wouldn't look as bright and the white would be the most dominant. Then you would need a splash of kitchen accessories that would make the room "pop".

Maybe a silverish gray or that with a light hue of lavender or blue or maybe a smoky grey.

We are remodeling our kitchen. Which cabinets are better, Oak or Maple?

By SJWALL from Tulsa, OK

Answers

The color is determined more by the stain than the type of wood. Both oak and maple can be painted or stained similar colors. Both woods are beautiful and strong, so it really depends more on the look you want--grainy with pronounced lines running through the wood like in oak or the more subtle striations of maple.

If the cupboards will be painted rather than stained, keep in mind with oak you'll still be able to see the run of the lines through the wood. Some people like that look, but most cabinet manufacturers that I've seen don't even offer painted cabinets (such as white, bisque, red and so on) in oak because most people seem to favor the smoother surface without the grain lines.

Good luck.

What "feel" are you going for? Right now the trend is maple, and oak is often criticized for being typically '80's or '90's. Really, you should go with whichever one you prefer, though, because both have their fans and their strong points. For an elegant, warm, up-to-date look, go with maple. Its grain is not as pronounced as oak and it's therefore very versatile for many kitchen styles. For a cozy, country-style kitchen, oak is your answer, because it's heavy grain contributes to the overall rustic effect. If you know the color of wood or stain you want, try it out on samples of both woods, because the grain patterns of each will pick up the color differently. Take a look at hardwood flooring samples to see what I mean.

I have dark brown cabinets in my kitchen and I need a color to brighten it up. I also need suggestions for a floor color. I'm going with a wood laminate.

By Missvicky from Northwoods, WI

Answers

I would go with pastel shades to soften the dark cabinets and bring a little light into the room.
You can always add brighter colors with accessories.

I would stay with a light color of wood laminate flooring as dark shows so much. I'm going to be using the mottled stone look laminate flooring for our kitchen that won't show everything so much.

I have laminate in my kitchen and I love it and it looks great, but if I could do it over again, I would go with a light color of laminate. The dark shows every speck of dust and streaks if not washed correctly. Stick with a lighter color and when you wash it wash the length of the laminate not across the short side.

I am trying to coordinate the kitchen cupboards to go with pine walls and ceiling. Should I get white cupboards or pear cherry?

By Deb

Answers

I would never paint kitchen cabinets anything except white. In fact I had dark wood cabinets with alot of wear and grime from previous owner and I painted them white and I think it helped sell the home.

What color kitchen cabinets goes with knotted pine walls?

By cybileena

Answers

Hold paint color sample chips near the wood on the walls. If the base color is yellow as I suspect, I'd paint the cabinets yellow.

Otherwise, I'd use a shade of white that coordinates with the paneling and use yellow as my accent color. Yes, indeed white comes in different shades. White is the most popular color for kitchen cabinets.