Uses for Paraffin Wax

I have a giant block of wax. I think it is used for candle making. I know very little about that. I believe it is paraffin wax. What are the uses for this around the house other than candle making. I bought it at a garage sale a while back.

Thanks, Jake.

Here's a reader's tip from our archive...

Cheap Fire Starters

During this cold period of the year, fire starters for your fireplace can be made by taking a paper egg carton (not the Styrofoam kind), your dryer lint and some paraffin wax. Put lint balls in the egg carton cup, pour melted paraffin wax over them. When wax has hardened, you can then cut each cup apart and use to start your fires. Works great for campfires also. This is a trick we learned from the Boy Scouts.

Melinda

Parafin wax can be melted and poured on top of jams to prevent mould from growing. Also add small amounts of parafin to melted chocolate to make it smooth and shiny for coating, dipping strawberries etc. But my best advice Jake, don't buy stuff at garage sales you have no use for!

I have used parafin wax for firestarters too. But my FAVORITE use is making "Buckeyes". They are a chocolate covered peanut butter candy that looks like a buckeye (from the tree). These are always a favorite with family and friends.

Hi,

Here is a link for some craft projects using Soap Scoops.

http://familycrafts.about.com/library/trcrafts/bllscooptrt.htm and

This is a link for reusing Soap Scoops for extra measuring cups when baking. Whenever you reuse scoops make sure you clean them well.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000551.tip.html

You can also use paraffin wax and rub it on your chest of drawer or kitchen and bathroom drawer sliders to help it slide better. Works well on wood and metal. Saves wear on your drawers.

Would probably even work on sliding closet doors as well.

parrafin melts at a low heat, and is very good for your skin, melt it and dip your hands in it, let it dry, then peel it off. makes skin very soft and smooth

wax carvings?

how do i put paraffin wax on the bottle labels to prevent the labels from being eaten away by acids?

I melt 1 large bag of toll house chips and 1 1 bar of parafin to dip my chocolate, will it hurt you to eat that much parafin?

Usually much less paraffin than that is used in candy making. I'd use 1 Tbsp. (grated) at the most for 1 bag of chocolate chips. It helps the chcolate set and gives it a shine. I don't think eating a lot of paraffin is good for you.

After looking at several recipes, I've seen several that use that much paraffin, some of them just dip the candy in heated parafin to give it a coating.

Here's a link about paraffin as a coating with some warnings:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/choc-help.htm

Susan from ThriftyFun

hi im a beauty student and we use paraffin wax for hand and facial treatment. just dip your hands in the melted wax and wrap your hands in plastic bags with towels around them to keep the heat in for 15 minutes and then peel off and you can re use when ever its good for circulation and keeps your hands soft

katie x

When you melt cooking chocolate, you use the paraffin to help it liquify better, and it gets a better texture and color. You can give something in chocolate to someone this christmas! :D

Do not use large amounts of paraffin in your chocolate.

Paraffin can cause intestinal blockage and this is known as Paraffin poisoning.

Intestinal blockage caused by eating too much paraffin can cause infection and death. Treatment may require surgery.

The less poison you put in your body the better.

If you melt 40g of paraffin wax in a small pan. Then mix in 40g of sugar, and 60g of potassium nitrate into the melted wax. Pour onto foil, wrap, mold to shape, add a fuse, ignite, and poof you have a fun smoke bomb for the forth of July! :)

Injesting Paraffin Wax From Wax Paper that Your girlfriend cooked with in the oven, Streudle that was oven baked.

Don't know how toxic but it did taste like eating a scented candle. My solution is colon flush asap.

I hope this teaches me a leason in life that food is really bad all the time. I'll have to remeber always clean water and fresh fruits and vegtables only so help me god...Anyway I you hap a blessed Easter.

Gari..

Jake - I totally relate, as I just bought out 5 lb.s of paraffin wax because it was being discontinued at the store and was on mega-sale. It says people use it in canning, and this season I plan on canning more of my veggies from the garden. I intend to explore this further. Everyone's advice is very helpful! Thanks!

I am looking to buy wax to clean ducks.We hunt ducks and use wax in the cleaning process.Can you give me a dealer name or a contact in the south LA area. Thanks RB

I have a chocolate cookie recipe that uses Paraffin Wax. Made with peanut butter, Rice Krispies and chocolate chips. Delicious!

Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
candle
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
Using Leftover Candle Wax, Melted Candles
Using Leftover Candle Wax
Petroleum Jelly
Uses for Petroleum Jelly
🎉
🎄