Grub Gravy

This is one of the fastest and best-tasting lunch specials you can make. Most children love any kind of SloppyJoe Sandwich, but this one has some added flavor and nutrition.

• 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 can Cream of Chicken soup (undiluted)
  • 4 hamburger buns (toasted or not- your choice)

Directions:

Heat skillet and add 2 tsp olive oil to it. Allow it to get hot. Crumble up beef and add to skillet, stirring until meat is browning and slightly caramelized. Stir to further break up meat, and add the can of undiluted cream of chicken soup. Cook for 2 minutes. while stirring to heat thoroughly. Spoon over open hamburger buns.

Add a pre-made tossed salad with dressing of choice and you have a nice quick and filling lunch. My children loved our homemade baked beans with these sloppy joes.

Servings: 4

Time: 5 Minutes Preparation Time, 15 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My oldest daughter. The three daughters were always playing "Restaurant" when they were learning to cook. This recipe was named "Grub Gravy" on their "menu", probably from watching "Bonanza" and the introduction of Hop Sing's "chuck wagon" on the trail.

By Julia (pookarina) from Boca Raton, FL

I love the name! This sounds like a great recipe for my son's when it's their turn to be "grubmaster" on their Boy Scout camp outs. Thanks!

Hey, I like that idea. I'll bet we could do the same for our Sunday School classses that we take to the park once a month. We do a kind of "campfire" cookout with a "singalong" accompanied by a guitarist. Eating from the tin pie pans is the best of all. Very cowboyish.

Coleslaw would be a good thing to go on the pan with the Grub Gravy and easy enough to have ready-made to go.

Thank you pookarina.

MisMachado

I wonder how this would taste served over noodles or macaroni? I might try it that way.

This would be good for a quickie supper any night when I get home too tired to do a lot of cooking.

I love anything that's healthy comfort food and gets me out of the kitchen to put my feet up and play computer games with the kids.

Thanks Julia,

Lee

Hi Escnmck,

I don't see why it wouldn't be delicious over noodles or macaroni, even linguini or rice noodles. You could add cooked carrots or green peas to it, cooked onions. The recipe was left simple just so that the girls could make it themselves, and we never changed it. I did put it over leftover mashed potatoes once, but that was just so that I could finish up the leftovers. The children had their own definite ideas about some of their concoctions. Even left as simple as possible, it is really very good.

Thank you for the feedback and the pasta ideas.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

This is one of those times when putting 2 heads together is really working. We enjoy eating outside in the summer time as much as possible. This is simple enough to prepare ahead of time (the gravy and pasta) then take it outside and eat around the pool. I always feel that I need to be making something a little healthier than just sandwiches, and I just have to try this. At least, I know the kids will eat it. They like everything that is in the recipe.

Thanks to the original poster and the one who suggested using macaroni with it.

Songwriter

We used to make this with mushroom soup and serve it over toast. The kids are gone now, but I still make it for myself to bring back old times.

Sloppy Joe Recipes, Sloppy joe on a plate with curly fries.
Sloppy Joe Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SandwichesMay 1, 2010
Homemade Gravy
Thickening Homemade Gravy
Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
Plate of food covered in gravy.
Gravy Making Tips and Tricks
Steak With Gravy
Steak and Gravy Recipes
🎉
🎄