Sloppy Joes

Being single and needing to watch what I make and save money, I make my own sloppy joes (slushburgers). I like this recipe for it freezes well. Leftovers can be made into several quick and easy meals for a later date.

• 1 lb. ground meat, (beef, chicken, turkey and pork)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard (may need to be adjusted to your taste)
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder (again, adjust to your taste)

Directions:

Brown meat and onion. Add remaining ingredients. Once you have this made, you can either make sloppy joes for one night and then freeze the rest in small amounts for 1 sandwich.

When you are pressed for time, thaw meat mixture and add it to leftover mac and cheese for quick hotdish and 1/4 cup mixed vegetables. Heat on high for 2 minutes.

You can also put this mixture on baked potatoes, fries, or for fast nachos, add grated cheese and place in oven till cheese is melted.

Servings: 6 sandwiches
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes

By cj from Minot, ND

I haven't had sloppy joes since I was a kid. This recipe sounds fabulous! Thank you for sharing =)

If you use really lean meat, you can dump all the ingredients into the pan together, stir until crumbly and cook until done. The texture of the meat will be finer and softer. If you feel there is too much liquid, you can drain most of it off.