Browsing: Crafts Using Neckties

Sneaky Snake

Teri Clark

If you have an adult male in your home, you are bound to have a huge array of ties. And if it is anything like at my house, I'll bet that many of those ties go unworn year after year! Don't let those old ties go to waste - instead, create a quick, easy, and adorable snake for your child's stuffed animal collection!

Snake Wrapped on Bedpost

Materials:

• Old tie
  • Polyester Fiberfill
  • Wire coat hanger
  • 2 googlie eyes
  • Pipe cleaner

Tools:

• Needle and thread
  • Glue Gun
  • Scissors

Instructions:

The body of the snake is first:

1. Unbend the wire coat hanger so that you have a long, relatively straight piece of wire. You may need to clip off the hooked end of the coat hanger if you can't get it undone.
  2. Lay the tie on a table, face down. You will see that the tie is hollow. Start pushing fiberfill into the hollow of the tie starting at the wide end.
  3. As you get more fiberfill into the tie, you will need to push it down to the other end using the straightened out coat hanger. Be sure to fill the entire tie with fiberfill.
  4. Once the entire tie is filled, thread the coat hanger into the tie. This will allow your snake to be twisted and posed.
  5. Now it is time to create the head and the tail:

6. The wide end of the tie has a lining. Pull the lining away from the tie and stuff this area with fiberfill.
  7. Using your needle and thread, sew the lining edges together so that no fiberfill can leak out.
  8. Repeat STEPS 5 and 6 on the small end of the tie to create a tail.
  9. Using the hot glue gun, glue on two googlie eyes.
  10. Cut your pipe cleaner in half. You will only need one of the halves.
  11. Bend the pipe cleaner half in the middle.
  12. Using the hot glue gun, glue the pipe cleaner on the point of the head to create a tongue.
  13. Once the hot glue is dry, you can coil your snake! My daughter coils hers around her bedpost and it is a great conversation starter when she has friends sleep over!

Sneaky Snake (Made With Men's Ties)

Additional Ideas: Add dried beans to the tail instead of fiberfill to create a "rattle" snake!

© 2005 ThriftyFun

About The Author: Teri Clark's interest in the new and different has led to a successful online writing career collaborating on nearly 100 books and hundreds of articles as an editor, researcher, ghostwriter and author. The North Carolina resident, along with her husband, homeschools their four children. Learn more at http://ghost-writer.blogspot.com

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Say that was kind of neat.

But the head of the snake was way to large

Should have more body 4-5 inches be on the neck,

or try putting it in a differen't pose.

I still think it was cute.

Charlie....7/7/0

I like the snake. Wish I had thought of it when my sons were little. They would have loved it.

I love the angel. I have my father's ties and I'm making one for several family members for a remembrance of our father.

Thanks

Lou

A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
Crafts ToysJuly 7, 2005
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
Snake
Earth Friendly Snake Repellent
copperhead snake
What Kind of Snake is This?
Caring For a Pet Snake, Snake on a person's hand.
Caring For a Pet Snake
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 8:14:45 AM on 10.0.1.46 in 360 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.