Wonton Mozzarella Sticks

My 2 year old grandson LOVES fried mozzarella sticks at various fast food places, which are breaded and cooked in oil in a deep fryer. There are various things that I offered my grandson for a snack, and he DOES like sliced fruit, but I knew that he needed some protein. So I looked around in the fridge, and I had some mozzarella sticks and egg roll skins. I thought I would try wrapping the cheese sticks in the egg roll skins and I fried them in a little olive oil in a cast iron pan. It was a big hit, thus the name my grandson said when he tasted one, "MMMMMMMGOOOOD!"

• mozzarella sticks, or cut sticks of chunk cheese
  • egg roll skins
  • optional: seasonings (this can be anything you and others like), herbs, spices, condiments, finely chopped vegetables or fruit - go wild with the different flavors.
  • olive oil

Place the egg roll skin with one of the point down and start rolling the mozzarella stick from the point in the middle of the cheese stick, adding the seasoning if desired, then tucking in the sides as the skin gets longer on the sides. Continue rolling to the opposite point and just dab a bit of water on your finger to seal the end. When you have all of them rolled, heat the olive oil, spread fairly thin on the pan, and roll them around. When they are all nicely golden brown and crisp, give them a few minutes to drain on paper towel and cool a bit, and enjoy!

Note: I have used tarragon with mozzarella and Swiss, which was very good. I have also tried small can of chopped chili peppers, which is mild, but very good flavor (about a half tsp. for each roll). Toddlers like them plain though.

By Kathryn from Rockford, MI

These sound yummy. Thanks. I'll give em a try.

Green Pepper Wonton Poppers
Recipes Using Wontons
Food and Recipes Recipes AppetizersApril 19, 2011
Cinnamon Sticks
Buying Cinnamon Sticks
Paint Stir Stick
Uses for Paint Stir Sticks
Mozzarella Sticks
Mozzarella Stick Recipes
Chicken Mozzarella
Chicken Mozzarella Recipes