Recipes Using Wontons

Category Chinese
These Chinese dumplings can be filled with a variety of delicious ingredients. This page contains recipes using wontons.

I tried these yesterday and they are great!

Directions:

Whisk the butter, hot pepper sauce, and vinegar together in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the shredded chicken, and let stand 15 minutes.

Lay out several wonton wrappers, place 1/2 teaspoon chicken in the center of each wrapper and top with 1/2 teaspoon cream cheese. Brush the edges of the wonton wrappers with egg white, fold them over the filling in a triangle shape and press the edged together to seal. Continue until all of the wontons are filled.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat to 375 degrees. Cook the wontons 4 to 5 at a time in the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip as necessary for even browning.

Remove the wontons from the oil and drain on a cloth or paper towel.

Serve with Blue Cheese Dressing

Source: I checked out a few recipes for this one and ultimately chose one from Allrecipes :-)

By Ann from Richland, WA

Our garden grew lots of green peppers this year so I decided to use some store bought won tons pastries to make us a yummy Popper treat! Easy and so delish! The sweet chili sauce really tops it off well!

• 1 green pepper
  • 1 (6 oz.) pkg. lowfat cream cheese
  • 1 pkg. prepackaged Won ton squares
  • dash olive oil or cooking spray
  • Sweet Chili Sauce (found by preserves in grocery store)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Cut one green pepper up into 1/2 inch cubes. I placed them into my microwave for 90 soeconds to pre-cook/soften them before mixing them into the softened cream cheese.

I lay out all of the wonton squares and add one teaspoon of the green pepper/cream cheese mixture into the center of each wonton square.

Next, I fold over the square (wetting the edges so they stick closed and fold triangle each point toward the center so they don't burn.

I spray a light cookie sheet with cooking spray, then add the wontons with a little space in between each. I sprayed some of the wontons and brushed some with olive oil. It didn't seem to make a difference either way. Both turned out great.

I placed them in the oven at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes or until they were pleasantly browned along the edges.

I let them cool a little and then served them with chilled Sweet Chili Sauce.

I did freeze some wontons (before cooking) by laying them out on a cookie sheet in the freezer for another day since this batch made 25 wontons.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

Source: I saw a version of this recipe at allrecipes.com but it used jalapeno peppers and deep fried the wontons. I used green peppers and tried to make mine a little healthier by baking them instead.

By Donna from NEPA

My 2 year old grandson LOVES fried mozzarella sticks at various fast food places, which are breaded and cooked in oil in a deep fryer. I thought I would try wrapping the cheese sticks in the egg roll skins and I fried them in a little olive oil in a cast iron pan.

Cynthia Smith0 found this helpful

When you need something that looks like it took a lot of effort to make but you don't have the time, these Chicken Wonton Rolls are just the thing! Try serving with chicken gravy to make a complete meal!

Combine cream cheese, crab meat and garlic powder. Drop 1 tsp. of mixture in center of skin. Brush skin edge with beaten egg yolk and press edges to seal...

I saw a recipe for won ton soup and lost it after I bought the supplies. It had chicken broth, soya sauce, ginger, won ton wraps, ground turkey or chicken, fresh basil torn and green onions. I am a diabetic, so am trying to lose weight.

Susan from Hamilton, Ont

Answers

By jsham (Guest Post)

Put won ton soup into your search engine and you should get some good recipes. I like the one from About.com.

Go to www.recipezaar.com and type in Wonton Soup
There are 11 recipes to choose from, hope you find one you like

The book "The Joy of Wokking" by Martin Yan has a Cantonese style Wonton Soup that tastes great with chicken substitued for the pork and shrimp(the first don't eat much, the other am allergic to.) He even tells, with diagrams how to wrap the wontons.

From what exactly are wonton wrappers made? Is it rice wrappers or a dough?

By Amani

Answers

Nasoya brand is wheat.

I know everyone associates mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce, but I prefer these with Chinese hot mustard or sweet and sour dipping sauce. Another thing I've tried to spice these sticks up is to spread a little bit of diced jalapenos along the cheese before wrapping, and serve with guacamole as a dip ;-)

• 12 pieces mozzarella string cheese
  • 12 wonton wrappers
  • Oil for frying

Directions:

Keep wonton wrappers covered with a damp cloth while you work on wrapping in batches. Place a piece of string cheese near the bottom corner of one egg roll wrapper, fold bottom corner over cheese, roll up halfway, and fold side edges of wontons over the cheese ends. Moisten remaining wonton edges with water and roll up tightly, pressing firmly but gently to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cheese.

Heat 1 to 2 inches of oil in a skillet to about 375 degrees F and fry sticks in batches for 30 to 60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on towels and serve.

By Ann from Richland, WA

Answers:

Wonton Mozzarella Sticks

These sound better than regular mozzarella sticks, thanks! (09/11/2010)

By Judy = Oklahoma