Keeping Track Of The Grocery Bill When Shopping

I usually have my grocery list and check off items as I put them in my basket. Instead of a calculator, I just put a slash mark on my grocery list, for the price of the item, rounded out to the dollar. At checkout, I quickly add up the slash marks that are in groups 5 and I'm usually within $3.00 of my final bill.

By Deafstter from Neptune NJ

I do something similar, I keep a running total, rounding up to the nearest 10 cents. For instance if something is $4.78, I round up to $4.80. By the time I get to checkout I am usually within a dollar of my total.

Great to hear that someone is using math skills rather than electronics. I teach rounding and estimating to my grade 7 & 8 classes, and this is the sort of thing that I tell them that people can do -- a practical use for the skills that they learn.

Louise, Nipawin, Sask.

Good idea. When I'm waiting in a grocery line, I mentally add up the total for my groceries, and am usually within 20 cents or so. At Aldi's it's easy because a lot of prices end in 9, so I just round it up to 10, and then add up the number of items I have and subtract that many cents from my total. It's good, practical mental exercise.

I use a tally counter.

This is a great idea and so easy. I am going to try this.

Yesterday we went to Food Lion to pick up one of those plastic lounge chairs and while there we picked up a couple other items that were on sale. Forgot to use the MVP card and was charged full price for the meat and watermelon and didn't notice how much we were spending. Needed to go back today so while there I asked if they would honor the MVP card on the items purchased yesterday and they did, no questions asked. I'll give Food Lion a thumbs up for that.

A paper bag of groceries.
Saving Money on Groceries
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingOctober 3, 2007
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Woman receiving change at the grocery store
Advice for Stretching Your Grocery Budget
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
🎉
🎄