Off Insect Repellent On Eyeglasses

I accidentally sprayed Off insect repellent on my eyeglasses and now I can barely see out of them. I have tried several things to clean them with no luck. Any suggestions?

By Gramps from Coshocton, OH

Best Answer

Use starter fluid, worked for me! Use it on cloth and wipe the lense in a small area to see if you are successful.

Best Answer

Try Windex if all else fails. The small amount of alcohol should clear anything greasy.

Best Answer

Hi Gramps

I am an optician and we use Goof-Off on the most serious of films. Just put a few drops on a cotton ball and wipe the lens. If this fails, the integrity of the lens has been destroyed. You will need to replace your lenses. Call the place were you purchased your lenses, see if there is a warranty, if not, ask if you can get a reduced cost on replacing your lenses, and always ask for a senior discount. Good luck.

Hello, if I were you I know I would try "starter fluid" bought at walmart or an auto store or your hubby may have some in the garage). Spray it on a clean cleaning cloth. Wipe a small area of your glasses where you know the spray is. Starter fluid evaporates almost instantly. The cloth may need to be sprayed more than once.

I did use this method on my glasses with over spray and it worked just fine. Rinse and dry the glasses with a lint free cloth when you are sure the insect spray is gone. Starter fluid also takes pine sap off cars,dog's paws, etc. Always spray the cloth,not the item. God bless! Lynn

NOTE:lt also works on pine sap that gets on your car/windshield or body as well as on a dog's paw,etc.

Always spray cloth,not the item.