Making a Heating Pad

I am looking for instructions for how to make cow corn microwave heating pads.

By Barbara from Haverhill, MA

Make it with whatever kind of cooton fabric you like and the size you want it and fill it a little over half way with deercorn mixed with you favorite scented oil not much of it you don`t want it to strong, and sew the end up and it`s ready to use, just heat it in the microwave for a couple of minutes but don`t let it get hot and enjoy.

Never heard of cow corn but these heating pads can be filled with many items like rice or dried beans.

I make all of mine from long grain rice. It is comfortable and stays warm for hours. I use a hand towel and fold it in half to form the bag. you can fold it lengthwise for a long one to go around your neck or at the center to create a size that would do well on the knee, elbow, or small of the back. Use a heavy needle and thread. I sew mine on the machine and hand-sew the opening. Don't use a regular funnel to fill as it will be ever so slow and troublesome. I use a large heavy pc of paper bag and roll it to form a funnel with at least an inch to 1 1/2" opening. To heat, (I like mine hot) I use 1 1/2 min. per pound of rice. Hope this helps!

Just make sure the fabric you use is 100% cotton (or wool or silk)!

I found that if you place a small cup of water in the microwave as you heat your rice bag the rice will get that burnt smell and it helps with the moist heat. Also, I made a fleece sleeve cover for my rice bags, it helps hold the moist heat in longer .

Beans, and cheery pits work best, as they are a larger grain and hold their heat longer. Does anyone have any ideas for non-stop use . I injured my back and I am non-stop using my rice heating pads and the microwave heating is slower when you are trying to heat up more then one heating pad.

I thought of setting up a steaming pot on the stove top to set more then one heating pad in so I would have instant heated pads on hand as one or more cooled down. But I'm not sure if that would actually cook the rice or not?

Any ideas?