Saving Money When Grocery Shopping

1. Shop alone. It cuts down on distractions and curbs impulse buying.

2. Make a list and stick to it. Allow yourself only a certain amount of unplanned purchases.

3. Don't go to the grocery store hungry. If you are hungry when you go to the store, everything looks good.

4. Buy larger size items only if the unit price indicates that it's a better deal than the smaller package.

5. Buy generic.

6. Leave credit and debit cards at home, and only carry a certain amount of cash. You can only buy as much as the cash that you have with you.

7. Check sales ads and circulars for what is listed, and know your prices. Just because an item is listed in the circular or ad, doesn't necessarily mean that it is on sale.

8. Check your prices as your items are being rung up; it's easier to challenge them as it happens than it is after you get home.

9. Always check your sales receipt.

10. Compare unit prices to achieve the most possible savings per ounce, or volume.

11. Check the back of the sales receipt for cents-off coupons.
  12. Use coupons only if the item is something that you need, and would buy anyway.

13. Don't forget to send in those rebates. 5 rebates at $1.00 a rebate is an extra $5.00 to spend on groceries.

14. Stay away from packaged foods; you pay for convenience. Get into the habit of cooking from scratch and always have the staples that you need in the kitchen already.

By one.of.a.kind from AL

This is so true! I am always wasting money on the first couple of these rules..I am going to be more careful...the other day I went to buy one item only and came out with over ten!

I loved reading this! I am voting for this because it has the potential to save tons of money!

Robyn

I shop only every two weeks. We have a running list and we clip coupons. I start at ALDI's and get all my cereal and dairy some breads, frozen chicken and some produce there. Then I move on to Walmart and get my other things. It saves a lot of $ especially on the cereal and milk!

#5 is definitely not true. Buying generic isn't necessarily always wise. I never buy anything generic because you can get everything brand name for so much cheaper if not free! Coupons rarely come out for generic items so why buy them? Brand name is the way to go and it tastes better!

The greatest home expense outside of housing and electricity is easily food. It is perhaps the most essential, as humans are completely capable of surviving without a lot of things though food is not among them. There are, however, some ways to save on household goods.