Saving Money When Grocery Shopping

1. Shop alone. It cuts down on distractions and curbs impulse buying.

2. Make a list and stick to it. Allow yourself only a certain amount of unplanned purchases.

3. Don't go to the grocery store hungry. If you are hungry when you go to the store, everything looks good.

4. Buy larger size items only if the unit price indicates that it's a better deal than the smaller package.

5. Buy generic.

6. Leave credit and debit cards at home, and only carry a certain amount of cash. You can only buy as much as the cash that you have with you.

7. Check sales ads and circulars for what is listed, and know your prices. Just because an item is listed in the circular or ad, doesn't necessarily mean that it is on sale.

8. Check your prices as your items are being rung up; it's easier to challenge them as it happens than it is after you get home.

9. Always check your sales receipt.

10. Compare unit prices to achieve the most possible savings per ounce, or volume.

11. Check the back of the sales receipt for cents-off coupons.
  12. Use coupons only if the item is something that you need, and would buy anyway.

13. Don't forget to send in those rebates. 5 rebates at $1.00 a rebate is an extra $5.00 to spend on groceries.

14. Stay away from packaged foods; you pay for convenience. Get into the habit of cooking from scratch and always have the staples that you need in the kitchen already.

By one.of.a.kind from AL

This is so true! I am always wasting money on the first couple of these rules..I am going to be more careful...the other day I went to buy one item only and came out with over ten!

I loved reading this! I am voting for this because it has the potential to save tons of money!

Robyn

I shop only every two weeks. We have a running list and we clip coupons. I start at ALDI's and get all my cereal and dairy some breads, frozen chicken and some produce there. Then I move on to Walmart and get my other things. It saves a lot of $ especially on the cereal and milk!

#5 is definitely not true. Buying generic isn't necessarily always wise. I never buy anything generic because you can get everything brand name for so much cheaper if not free! Coupons rarely come out for generic items so why buy them? Brand name is the way to go and it tastes better!

The greatest home expense outside of housing and electricity is easily food. It is perhaps the most essential, as humans are completely capable of surviving without a lot of things though food is not among them. There are, however, some ways to save on household goods.

July 15, 2010 Flag

Would like to know some tips on saving while buying grocery. Also I am a vegetarian so any special tips on buying grocery for vegetarians?

Little Princess from Brampton

Answers:

Saving Money When Grocery Shopping

Don't think that you have to buy fresh. Always compare the prices between fresh, frozen, and canned. Also, don't be afraid to try store brands; often they are made by the same manufacturers who make the name brand products, and are of comprable quality.

Often the grocery store will have a shelf or other area with produce that is still good but getting ready to go soft or be too ripe, if you are ready to use them that day or put them in the freezer right away, they are perfectlly good.

And as far as your canned goods, try shopping at discount stores such as Dollar Tree or Dollar General -- great prices on non-perishable items, and some perishable too.

Try bakery outlets (Merita, Flower, etc.) for your baked goods. Not just bread, but also cakes, cerals, even lots of other items that you wouldn't think of as being in a bakery -- pickles, jams and jellies, popsicles...

Good luck, and happy bargain hunting! (01/29/2009)

By bailegirl

Saving Money When Grocery Shopping

There are so many ways to save on groceries. First of all, frozen can be fresher than even "fresh" frozen fruits and veggies are picked at ripeness, and flash frozen right away,thereby making them fresher. and brands will offer coupons, and sales for their frozen products. Also watch your local Walgreens and CVS stores, they offer extra rewards every week. Their sale items are very reasonable when churning your reward bucks. I very seldom pay more than 50 cents now for Ragu pasta sauce, Skippy and Jif peanut butter, Progresso soup, Campbells soups fiber bars etc.

Most grocery stores double coupons. Wait for their sales to use coupons, just be savvy with what your local stores offer. Use coupons, and you will be surprised at the amount of money you can save. I recently purchased 20 jars (yes) of Taco Bell salsa at our local Meijer for 35 cents a jar and Miracle Whip for 1 dollar a jar. Stock up when on sale. Grocery stores have websites that offer extra coupons savings, etc. (01/30/2009)

By Beckie

Saving Money When Grocery Shopping

Shop with the seasons. Seasonal fruits and veggies are often cheaper than frozen. Out of season fresh fruits and veggies will destroy your budget. (07/02/2009)

By emilykate84

A paper bag of groceries.
Saving Money on Groceries
Budget & Finance ShoppingJuly 15, 2010
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Woman receiving change at the grocery store
Advice for Stretching Your Grocery Budget
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
🎉
🎄