Removing Shine From Men's Suits

Does anybody know how I can remove the shine that has developed on several pairs of my dark suit pants? it's driving me crazy and I'd really like to remove it.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Soak and ring out an old, clean piece of material with hydrogen peroxide. Place it on shine suit and steam iron.

Peroxide can bleach colors sometimes. I only use peroxide on whites.

Hi Fred,

Here is a remedy from http://vintages … 33-pt/pt-01.html

"Removing Shine.- Sometimes, in the construction of woolen garments, certain parts, especially seams and overlapping edges, become shiny or glossy from improper pressing. Also, as is well known, a woolen material that consists of hard or firmly twisted threads is likely to become glossy from hard wear. To remove the shine, first place over it a press cloth that is slightly damper than one needed for ordinary pressing. Then hold a hot iron very close to the press cloth, but not on it, keeping the iron in one position long enough to allow the steam an opportunity to penetrate the fabric. Then lift the press cloth and brush the fabric briskly to roughen its surface a trifle in order to take away the shine.

Repeat this process until every trace of the shine is removed. Then, dry the steamed material thoroughly, holding the iron close enough to the press cloth so that the fabric will appear to have been carefully pressed, although the iron has not touched it."

The hydrogen peroxide may also work but I'd try this first. The peroxide might bleach the fabric. A press cloth is a clean cotton cloth that has been slightly dampened. When you use a press cloth, the wool or suit fabric never comes directly in contact with the iron.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Does anyone know a way to get rid of the shine on the fabric of men's suits that comes with age and wear? I know that one answer is to not send suits to the cleaner too often. Ideas? Thanks.

Fred

Guys, when you need to remove shine from your pants or suit jackets, it helps to mix up some vinegar and water, 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, and spray it lightly on the shiny pants and suits. I learned this trick a while back and it's pretty good, though not permanent. When your pants are worn enough so that they're shining you'll have to stay after them. There doesn't seem to be a one-stop fix until you buy another pair of pants or suit. (I'm still looking for a one-time fix). Because the shininess shows up mostly on navy blue and black pants I don't worry about brown, green or khaki pants that have some shine. Actually, I don't care one way or another about the shine, but I'm a lawyer and work in the same firm as my girlfriend. Periodically she gets after me about needing to invest in a new wardrobe. Instead of going to Brooks Bros. and pulling out my credit card, I reach for the vinegar.

Interesting that you mentioned Brooks Brothers...it is my blue Brooks Brothers jacket that is shining.

Hello Dan.Your question is totally appropriate and very logical.My suggestion how to remove the shine on the pants would be to maybe wash the shiny spots with hot water?Maybe you can go to a tailor and ask them what you can do.I would gently scrunch the spots with hot water.But be careful.As you do not want to mess up you good pants.Good luck.Be well.