Cleaning Cat Spray

The odor of cat spray can be tough to get rid of. Properly removing the odor can also help prevent recurrences. This is a guide about cleaning cat spray.

Striped kitten with red collar.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My cat is spraying on my front porch and along the side of the house. (I think to mark their territory) and the smell is making me sick. Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of this smell?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a neighbor cat that uses my front yard close to the door as a potty area. How can I stop this cat from using my yard?

Read More Answers...

How can I get old cat spray out of my rug? It's a big rug for the middle of the floor.

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hydrogen peroxide works wonders. Be sure to test on a small area first, then spray straight peroxide onto carpet to saturate. Let it dry completely...be patient! The odor won't disappear until it's completely dry. Stronger odors may take a second dose but I've used this method for years and it's never let me down. It doesn't leave a perfumy smell behind either like the expensive products you buy in the shops, no odor whatsoever.

What can I use to remove cat spray from vinyl siding? What can I do to have it not happen again?

By PGH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cat spray can be washed from vinyl siding with just soap and water. When cat spray is on fabric or wood you need to use a bio-remediation product like rid-ex or similar product containing bacteria that eats the organic matter contained in the cat spray, turning it into carbon dioxide and water. See my prior posts on this issue. I have several posts on cat and dog urine removal. Let us know if simply washing the vinyl siding worked for you.

How do you remove cat spray odor from sneakers?

By History Buff from Grahamsville, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have had cats for years so I know what you are referring to here. I would suggest going to your nearest Pet Store (or perhaps even your cat's Vet office) and purchase what is made for this very thing.

Just tell the store clerk or the vets office what you are trying to do and they can and will help you. Please do not ever rub an animals nose in the mess that they have made AS this ruins their sense of smell permanently.

Your pet is your companion, treat it as you yourself would like to be treated. Our 5 cats are our furry children now that the children are married and moved away.

Please make an appointment with your vet to have your cat spade or neutered. This will help with them with marking off their territory by spraying. Your cat is just marking your shoes (or you or your smell) by spraying on them so others will know to stay away.

Let us know how "this" turns out for you both; we are after all "your on line family" and we do care for one another in what happens OR at least I do. Good Luck to you and your furry child both!

Read More Answers...

We went on holiday, putting our cat in the cattery but forgetting to lock the cat flap. A tom cat has been in the living room and sprayed it. Yuck! We've had some success with warm water and white vinegar, but does anyone have any other ideas, please? We'd be very grateful.

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vodka in a spray bottle and reapply as necessary.

Read More Answers...

What is the best solution for cat spray odor in carpet?

By CP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try the Natures Miracle enzyme product. I use it all the time.

Read More Answers...

My cat has sprayed my computer bag that was by the front door. How do I remove the smell?

By D. Jeanette

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The only way to get rid of the smell for good is with bio-remediation, that is letting the correct bacteria eat the organic matter sprayed by the cat. Make sure that whatever product you use has live bacterial spores. I use a product from Winsol Labs but you only need a small amount so Natures Miracle would work.

Any bacterial product made for septic systems like Ridex will work. Rid ex comes in liquid form but since you need so little of it I would recommend the powder. Mix about a teaspoon of the powder with enough water to cover the sprayed area, or cover one whole side of the computer bag at a time.

Make sure the area stays moist for at least two days to give the bacteria enough time to work. You can put the liquid on and cover with a plastic bag. To find where the cat sprayed, look at the bag in the dark with an ultraviolet light. You can also use products for cleaning sink drains as long as they work by using live bacteria.

Read More Answers...

My cat sprayed my hair last night while I slept. I see solutions for everything but this. And yes I know, he needs to be neutered, he has an appointment next week already.

By Nelwyn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've never tried this, but I do rely on white vinegar to get all sorts of smells out of things - cat pee from a jacket, skunk from a dog so you might have some luck.. couldn't hurt!

I have a female cat and a male dog and had recently signed up to watch my sister's cat for a week. I have since found out that she had never gotten him neutered, so with that being said in the course of a few days her cat has covered my place with his spray which is a very acidic odor.

I have no idea where he had sprayed or how may times, but I'm desperate to get that smell out. So my question today would have to be, which is the best way to deodorize my place and free myself from the strong scent of cat spray?

By Britney from Edmonton, AB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My cat just started spraying like two days ago, he has a vet appt on Friday. He only sprays in one spot by the front door. I literally just used baking soda and hydrogen peroxide an hour ago, and the smell is gone! I also used the lemon idea to see if it will get him to stop spraying in that area. But hydrogen peroxide with baking soda is the cheapest and most effective thing I have found to work.

Read More Answers...

A cat has gotten under my house and sprayed. I don't have a cat.
The odor is awful in my kitchen and living room. How do I get rid
of the smell?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oooops, just rubbed my poor cats nose in his spray and I just read to not do that because messes up their smell senses. It was the first time I won't be doing that again. Sorry (Peanut) but the cat spray odor is driving me crazy.

Read More Answers...

A stray tom cat got into our house and marked it with cat spray. How do I rid my carpets of the odor?

By cork

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I discovered this recipe for getting cat spray out of carpets, furniture and even hard surfaces. It really works for me. 1st mix 1 cup water to 1 cup white vinegar. Find the area of spray with the black light method, or your nose. Wet rag with vinegar water mixture and keep pushing mixture into smelly spot. Once saturated blot with a dry clean cloth. Next sprinkle baking soda over the area.

Next, get an empty spray bottle and mix 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide to 1/4 teaspoon dawn dishwashing soap. Spray over backing soda. Once the baking soda is dry vacuum off. Make sure it is dry. I hope this works for you as well as it has worked for me.

Help me please. I just discovered that a neighborhood cat has been spraying in my cellar window onto my carpet. The smell is enough to gag you. What can I do to get the pee out of the carpet? I have closed the window, so he won't be able to continue to do it. Any help you can give me I thank you for already.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What can I use to get the smell of cat spray out of my house? And how do I find where it is?

By Alicia from Arlington, TX

Answers:

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

PetCo carries a product called Natures Miracle, white bottle, red letters. This is only thing I have ever used that thoroughly gets rid of the smell. (04/14/2010)

By Keep Stitchin'

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

Keep Stitchen' is right. Natures Miracle is a great product. Remember it takes awhile to dry and the odor is only gone when the product is dry. It can take a couple days to dry. I get my daughter who has a better nose than I do to find accidents for me. Good luck! (04/14/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

I once took in a stray, un-neutered male cat, and he peed and sprayed on the carpet in my living room, my bedroom, and the den. "Sigh". It was so awful, I couldn't go in there. A friend of mine recommended Emro Odor Eliminator. You can order it online. I ordered a large quantity of it, and poured it directly on the the areas the cat sprayed. The odor was completely gone within minutes! Google Emro Odor Eliminator, it works great. (04/15/2010)

By lex6819

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A feral male cat entered my house and has sprayed everywhere. I tried to eliminate the odor with a pet odor removal product today and it did not help. This happened today and I can't see where he has sprayed.

Clare from Cameron, OK

Answers:

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

I have six indoor cats so I know about this problem. If the urine is in the carpet, I use white vinegar in my carpet steam machine. It takes it right out and the smell is gone.

If the cat sprayed on a wall, then use straight peroxide. Leave it on for a few seconds and then wipe. Continue to do this until the smell is gone.

If perhaps you see a cat pee, use baking soda, pour it on the pee and it will absorb it. Wait a few seconds and then pour peroxide on the spot. It will suds up. Wipe and use more if needed. (02/19/2009)

By Tammy

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

Cheap vodka in a spray bottle works like a charm. Blot up as much as you can then saturate the area with the vodka and let it dry. It might take a couple doses but I guarantee it will work. Then if you get a whiff after a few weeks/months, douse it again. (02/19/2009)

By Beth

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

You can get a black light bulb from Walmart or your grocery store. Put it in a small (or at least portable) lamp and shine it in the room where the cat has sprayed. You'll be able to tell where. I use something called Natural Formula (or something like that) from the pet store. It's an enzyme cleanser. Doesn't work great, but helps. (02/19/2009)

By tennesue

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

There is a product that is not expensive and works called Puddle Out. The pet shelters here in Ohio use it and advise its use as a cleaner and deodorizer; you can order it through an ebay store called youronlineauctionplace.com or go to the website for Puddle Out directly (happycatsolutions.com). Good luck, cat pee smells terrible. (03/16/2009)

By wodehousereader

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My room smells like cat spray, not pee, spray. I don't know where it's coming from. The people who lived here before me must have had a cat. What do I do?

Ana from Toronto, ON

Answers:

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

Do you have carpet? You may have to clean/treat it or get rid of it! (12/05/2006)

By pamphyila

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

Go to a pet store, they have products there that will handle this problem.

Good Luck to you (12/05/2006)

By Paula Jo Carr, Mebane NC USA

Cat Spray Odor Inside My House

Soak citrus peels in vinegar and spray it around the room. The vinegar neutralizes and the citrus scent keeps the cats from going there again. It also smells good!

You can also leave a bowl of vinegar (with or without citrus peels) in a room to freshen the air.

Sprinkling baking soda around and vacuuming it up after an hour or so also helps freshen the air in the room. You can do the same thing with dry tea leaves.

(12/12/2006)

By Cantate

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Pet StainsSeptember 13, 2011
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Making a Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
Hair Spray Nozzle
Unclogging Hair Spray Nozzle
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 12:13:55 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 607 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.