Cleaning Cat Spray

The odor of cat spray can be tough to get rid of. Properly removing the odor can also help prevent recurrences. This is a guide about cleaning cat spray.

January 22, 2005 Flag

My cat is spraying on my front porch and along the side of the house. (I think to mark their territory) and the smell is making me sick. Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of this smell?

I have a neighbor cat that uses my front yard close to the door as a potty area. How can I stop this cat from using my yard?

I put pine cones in the garden area by the front door. This help all last year, will be adding a new layer in the spring

March 30, 2015 Flag

My 8 month old neutered cat just sprayed all over his own underbelly, tail, and the wooden porch in response to the presence of a tom cat! He is usually just inside and wants in, but there is no way at this point. He is smelly and you can smell it in the kitchen as the door comes into the kitchen area. He is very fiesty and it will be dangerious to try and bathe him. Any ideas?

By Colleen

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a product called Citrus Magic Pet Odor Eliminator that you can use directly on your pet's coat and it is safe and natural. Works great.

If the cat is fixed. How is he spraying?

July 5, 2009 Flag

How do you remove cat spray odor from sneakers?

By History Buff from Grahamsville, NY

Febreeze works wonders. If you have a Dollar General near you, the "Febreeze" generic they have works as well as the real one, I think. You may need to do once or twice.

We have had cats for years so I know what you are referring to here. I would suggest going to your nearest Pet Store (or perhaps even your cat's Vet office) and purchase what is made for this very thing.

Just tell the store clerk or the vets office what you are trying to do and they can and will help you. Please do not ever rub an animals nose in the mess that they have made AS this ruins their sense of smell permanently.

Your pet is your companion, treat it as you yourself would like to be treated. Our 5 cats are our furry children now that the children are married and moved away.

Please make an appointment with your vet to have your cat spade or neutered. This will help with them with marking off their territory by spraying. Your cat is just marking your shoes (or you or your smell) by spraying on them so others will know to stay away.

Let us know how "this" turns out for you both; we are after all "your on line family" and we do care for one another in what happens OR at least I do. Good Luck to you and your furry child both!

June 5, 2011 Flag

We went on holiday, putting our cat in the cattery but forgetting to lock the cat flap. A tom cat has been in the living room and sprayed it. Yuck! We've had some success with warm water and white vinegar, but does anyone have any other ideas, please? We'd be very grateful.

By Susan

I forgot to say as PIKKA stated Walmart has a relatively inexpensive enzyme odor product OR any near by pet shop OR vet shop would sell the stuff needed too. The sprayed areas will show up with the black light, then treat those areas with the odor enzyme product.

Vodka in a spray bottle and reapply as necessary.

December 5, 2014 Flag

How can I get old cat spray out of my rug? It's a big rug for the middle of the floor.

By Linda

Hydrogen peroxide works wonders. Be sure to test on a small area first, then spray straight peroxide onto carpet to saturate. Let it dry completely...be patient! The odor won't disappear until it's completely dry. Stronger odors may take a second dose but I've used this method for years and it's never let me down. It doesn't leave a perfumy smell behind either like the expensive products you buy in the shops, no odor whatsoever.

November 7, 2014 Flag

What can I use to remove cat spray from vinyl siding? What can I do to have it not happen again?

By PGH

Cat spray can be washed from vinyl siding with just soap and water. When cat spray is on fabric or wood you need to use a bio-remediation product like rid-ex or similar product containing bacteria that eats the organic matter contained in the cat spray, turning it into carbon dioxide and water. See my prior posts on this issue. I have several posts on cat and dog urine removal. Let us know if simply washing the vinyl siding worked for you.

January 15, 2012 Flag

What is the best solution for cat spray odor in carpet?

By CP

Try a mixture of baking soda & white vinegar. Just sprinkle with dry baking soda 1st, let it soak up the spot, then sponge of with water & white vinegar mixed together.

Water/white vinegar spray, 50/50. Saturate area (vinegar odor will go away).

March 19, 2007 Flag

A cat has gotten under my house and sprayed. I don't have a cat.
The odor is awful in my kitchen and living room. How do I get rid
of the smell?

Oooops, just rubbed my poor cats nose in his spray and I just read to not do that because messes up their smell senses. It was the first time I won't be doing that again. Sorry (Peanut) but the cat spray odor is driving me crazy.

You should not feel that bad because it does not mess up their sense of smell, but someone wrote that just to make others think it does in an effort to control you from doing something they do not approve of themselves...

June 24, 2012 Flag

My cat has sprayed my computer bag that was by the front door. How do I remove the smell?

By D. Jeanette

If the bag can be washed, try Odo' Ban or Scope mouthwash.

The only way to get rid of the smell for good is with bio-remediation, that is letting the correct bacteria eat the organic matter sprayed by the cat. Make sure that whatever product you use has live bacterial spores. I use a product from Winsol Labs but you only need a small amount so Natures Miracle would work.

Any bacterial product made for septic systems like Ridex will work. Rid ex comes in liquid form but since you need so little of it I would recommend the powder. Mix about a teaspoon of the powder with enough water to cover the sprayed area, or cover one whole side of the computer bag at a time.

Make sure the area stays moist for at least two days to give the bacteria enough time to work. You can put the liquid on and cover with a plastic bag. To find where the cat sprayed, look at the bag in the dark with an ultraviolet light. You can also use products for cleaning sink drains as long as they work by using live bacteria.

September 6, 2013 Flag

My cat sprayed my hair last night while I slept. I see solutions for everything but this. And yes I know, he needs to be neutered, he has an appointment next week already.

By Nelwyn

I've never tried this, but I do rely on white vinegar to get all sorts of smells out of things - cat pee from a jacket, skunk from a dog so you might have some luck.. couldn't hurt!

Load More
Pets Pet StainsSeptember 13, 2011
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Making a Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
Hair Spray Nozzle
Unclogging Hair Spray Nozzle
🎉
🎄