Cleaning Cat Spray

Category Pet Stains
The odor of cat spray can be tough to get rid of. Properly removing the odor can also help prevent recurrences. This is a guide about cleaning cat spray.

I have stray cats that visit my yard. They have gotten into my garden shed and sprayed on just about everything. Any suggestions how I can remove the odor?
Thank you.

First you have to find the source of the smell and the only real way to do that effectively is to shut out the lights and turn on a black light. The Black light will identify every single spot where urine is. After all, if you can't find it, you can't clean it. https://www.ama … +urine+detection

Enzymatic cleaners are really the only thing that will get rid of that smell. These cleaners use enzymes to break up the organic matter that causes the smell. "They work quickly by bio-degrading the stain, grease, oil, dirt, grime, vomit, urine, blood, coffee or food into its basic carbon, hydrogen or oxygen element, eliminating the problem. "

You can buy one here https://www.che … amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

or, if you have brown sugar, citrus peels and a lot of time on your hands, you can make your own: http://www.wiki … e-Enzyme-Cleaner

Nok-Out removes both odors and stains.

My cat is spraying on my front porch and along the side of the house. (I think to mark their territory) and the smell is making me sick. Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of this smell?

Anonymous

I put pine cones in the garden area by the front door. This help all last year, will be adding a new layer in the spring

Anonymous

Do you understand mothballs are an EPA Violation? They are illegal for outdoor use. That you contaminate the ground, ground water, and air with a toxin that spreads. That it will not only kill the cats, but other wildlife.

My 8 month old neutered cat just sprayed all over his own underbelly, tail, and the wooden porch in response to the presence of a tom cat! He is usually just inside and wants in, but there is no way at this point. He is smelly and you can smell it in the kitchen as the door comes into the kitchen area. He is very fiesty and it will be dangerious to try and bathe him. Any ideas?

By Colleen

Anonymous

There is a product called Citrus Magic Pet Odor Eliminator that you can use directly on your pet's coat and it is safe and natural. Works great.

If the cat is fixed. How is he spraying?

How do you remove cat spray odor from sneakers?

By History Buff from Grahamsville, NY

Febreeze works wonders. If you have a Dollar General near you, the "Febreeze" generic they have works as well as the real one, I think. You may need to do once or twice.

We have had cats for years so I know what you are referring to here. I would suggest going to your nearest Pet Store (or perhaps even your cat's Vet office) and purchase what is made for this very thing.

Just tell the store clerk or the vets office what you are trying to do and they can and will help you. Please do not ever rub an animals nose in the mess that they have made AS this ruins their sense of smell permanently.

Your pet is your companion, treat it as you yourself would like to be treated. Our 5 cats are our furry children now that the children are married and moved away.

Please make an appointment with your vet to have your cat spade or neutered. This will help with them with marking off their territory by spraying. Your cat is just marking your shoes (or you or your smell) by spraying on them so others will know to stay away.

Let us know how "this" turns out for you both; we are after all "your on line family" and we do care for one another in what happens OR at least I do. Good Luck to you and your furry child both!

We went on holiday, putting our cat in the cattery but forgetting to lock the cat flap. A tom cat has been in the living room and sprayed it. Yuck! We've had some success with warm water and white vinegar, but does anyone have any other ideas, please? We'd be very grateful.

By Susan

I forgot to say as PIKKA stated Walmart has a relatively inexpensive enzyme odor product OR any near by pet shop OR vet shop would sell the stuff needed too. The sprayed areas will show up with the black light, then treat those areas with the odor enzyme product.

Vodka in a spray bottle and reapply as necessary.

How can I get old cat spray out of my rug? It's a big rug for the middle of the floor.

By Linda

Hydrogen peroxide works wonders. Be sure to test on a small area first, then spray straight peroxide onto carpet to saturate. Let it dry completely...be patient! The odor won't disappear until it's completely dry. Stronger odors may take a second dose but I've used this method for years and it's never let me down. It doesn't leave a perfumy smell behind either like the expensive products you buy in the shops, no odor whatsoever.

What can I use to remove cat spray from vinyl siding? What can I do to have it not happen again?

By PGH

Cat spray can be washed from vinyl siding with just soap and water. When cat spray is on fabric or wood you need to use a bio-remediation product like rid-ex or similar product containing bacteria that eats the organic matter contained in the cat spray, turning it into carbon dioxide and water. See my prior posts on this issue. I have several posts on cat and dog urine removal. Let us know if simply washing the vinyl siding worked for you.

What is the best solution for cat spray odor in carpet?

By CP

Try a mixture of baking soda & white vinegar. Just sprinkle with dry baking soda 1st, let it soak up the spot, then sponge of with water & white vinegar mixed together.

Water/white vinegar spray, 50/50. Saturate area (vinegar odor will go away).

My cat has sprayed my computer bag that was by the front door. How do I remove the smell?

By D. Jeanette

If the bag can be washed, try Odo' Ban or Scope mouthwash.

The only way to get rid of the smell for good is with bio-remediation, that is letting the correct bacteria eat the organic matter sprayed by the cat. Make sure that whatever product you use has live bacterial spores. I use a product from Winsol Labs but you only need a small amount so Natures Miracle would work.

Any bacterial product made for septic systems like Ridex will work. Rid ex comes in liquid form but since you need so little of it I would recommend the powder. Mix about a teaspoon of the powder with enough water to cover the sprayed area, or cover one whole side of the computer bag at a time.

Make sure the area stays moist for at least two days to give the bacteria enough time to work. You can put the liquid on and cover with a plastic bag. To find where the cat sprayed, look at the bag in the dark with an ultraviolet light. You can also use products for cleaning sink drains as long as they work by using live bacteria.

A cat has gotten under my house and sprayed. I don't have a cat.
The odor is awful in my kitchen and living room. How do I get rid
of the smell?

Oooops, just rubbed my poor cats nose in his spray and I just read to not do that because messes up their smell senses. It was the first time I won't be doing that again. Sorry (Peanut) but the cat spray odor is driving me crazy.

Anonymous

You should not feel that bad because it does not mess up their sense of smell, but someone wrote that just to make others think it does in an effort to control you from doing something they do not approve of themselves...

My cat sprayed my hair last night while I slept. I see solutions for everything but this. And yes I know, he needs to be neutered, he has an appointment next week already.

By Nelwyn

I've never tried this, but I do rely on white vinegar to get all sorts of smells out of things - cat pee from a jacket, skunk from a dog so you might have some luck.. couldn't hurt!

I have a female cat and a male dog and had recently signed up to watch my sister's cat for a week. I have since found out that she had never gotten him neutered, so with that being said in the course of a few days her cat has covered my place with his spray which is a very acidic odor.

I have no idea where he had sprayed or how may times, but I'm desperate to get that smell out. So my question today would have to be, which is the best way to deodorize my place and free myself from the strong scent of cat spray?

By Britney from Edmonton, AB

I also recommend the Natures Miracle enzyme soak product. It is great. When it is dry the smell will be gone. Some pet stores have a blacklight that allows you to see where the cat sprayed. Although I have found many of them dont work all that well, it is something. In your case I think I would be letting my sister help (a lot). :)

My cat just started spraying like two days ago, he has a vet appt on Friday. He only sprays in one spot by the front door. I literally just used baking soda and hydrogen peroxide an hour ago, and the smell is gone! I also used the lemon idea to see if it will get him to stop spraying in that area. But hydrogen peroxide with baking soda is the cheapest and most effective thing I have found to work.

A stray tom cat got into our house and marked it with cat spray. How do I rid my carpets of the odor?

By cork

I discovered this recipe for getting cat spray out of carpets, furniture and even hard surfaces. It really works for me. 1st mix 1 cup water to 1 cup white vinegar. Find the area of spray with the black light method, or your nose. Wet rag with vinegar water mixture and keep pushing mixture into smelly spot. Once saturated blot with a dry clean cloth. Next sprinkle baking soda over the area.

Next, get an empty spray bottle and mix 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide to 1/4 teaspoon dawn dishwashing soap. Spray over backing soda. Once the baking soda is dry vacuum off. Make sure it is dry. I hope this works for you as well as it has worked for me.

I created a very comfortable and warm shelter for my 3 ferals. They lived there for almost 3 years. Last winter, another feral from the neighborhood tried to seek shelter there and there was a fight, the feral sprayed in the houses and my ferals sought out new shelter. I've tried cleaning the houses and surrounding areas with a solution I found online called "Anti-ikky poo", I sprayed the houses thoroughly, changed the straw, cleaned the heated beds, and changed the vinyl flap doors, all to no avail. They still won't go in there! I have to do something for them before the winter, but don't know if I should buy new houses, or relocate my existing ones. I don't know how to resolve this problem. What should I do?

By Alexandra

How do I remove the smell from cat spray on an Xbox 360? I've been rubbing it with multi action cleaner for about an hour, but with no result.

By D. Jones

How do I remove cat spray from clothing?

By Grace D. from Picayune, MS

My young male cat has obviously used this area before and I just found where. I was wondering what kind of solution is there for wooden floors? Any advice will help and I'd be very appreciative! Thank you!

By S.C

How do I remove cat spray odor from papers?

By Joyce F

HELP ME PLEASE. I just discovered that a neighborhood cat has been spraying in my cellar window onto my carpet. OMG, the smell is enough to gag you. What can I do to get the pee out of the carpet? I have closed the window, so he won't be able to continue to do it. Any help you can give me I thank you for already.

Help me please. I just discovered that a neighborhood cat has been spraying in my cellar window onto my carpet. The smell is enough to gag you. What can I do to get the pee out of the carpet? I have closed the window, so he won't be able to continue to do it. Any help you can give me I thank you for already.

What can I use to get the smell of cat spray out of my house? And how do I find where it is?

A feral male cat entered my house and has sprayed everywhere. I tried to eliminate the odor with a pet odor removal product today and it did not help.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Load More