Substitutions for Milk in Recipes

When using canned condensed or evaporated milk in place of regular milk, you may need to make some adjustments. This guide is about substitutions for milk in recipes.

Evaporated Milk
Filter Sort

Question: Substituting Evaporated Milk for Whole Milk in Recipes

By Sandy 5 11

Can I use Carnation (or store brand) evaporated milk the same as whole milk in a recipe? Or is there some "rule of thumb" to go by when cooking with canned evaporated milk? Does it need to be diluted?

By Sandy from Richmond, VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Jill 4 738 Flag

You can certainly use it interchangeably in recipes. Simply dilute with plain water, (2 parts milk and 1 part water, according to AllRecipes, though I had thought it was 1:1). I think it has a richer flavor, which lends itself nicely to cooking. I always use it instead of regular milk and cream in my "cream of" soups.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Anna Shobe 5 38 Flag

Its a 1:1 ratio on evaporated milk not sure whats up with All Recipes. My Joy of Cooking calls for using a 1:1 ratio when substituing for milk in a recipe and its a standard. Straight evaporated milk may be substituted for light cream in recipes. I too believe it has a richer flavor than regular milk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pixiedust7 7 897 Flag

It usually says right on the can that mixing the evap with an equal quantity of water produces milk that is "not below the standards" for regular whole milk. The 1:1 ratio is best when replacing milk in a recipe, and undiluted evap works well most of the time as a substitute for cream, except for whipping. Evap can be whipped when chilled awhile, but it's nothing like real whipped cream.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substitutions for Evaporated Milk in Recipes

By Linda Delcamp 48 19

Can you substitute 2% or any kind of milk for evaporated milk in recipes such as pumpkin pies? If so, how much?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

thr755190 Flag

A can of evaporated milk is 12 oz. (1 1/2 cup). You would use an equal amount of whatever you decide to substitute.

Evaporated milk is milk that has had about 60% of its water removed through evaporation. It is thicker, richer and has more flavor than whole milk. If you tried to make pumpkin pie with 2% or even whole milk, it wouldn't be rich like it should and probably wouldn't set up thick enough. You could substitute buttermilk. It would give it a different flavor, but might be good. You could also try using cream, but that might be too rich.

If you are worried about the fat content in evaporated milk, you can buy fat free. I have never used it but maybe someone who has can advise you on the taste.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Michelle Landreth 17 67 Flag

Yes, you can substitute the milk without any problem. I always use what I have on hand. Just cut back on the liquid a bit and you'll be fine, or either use the whole amount the recipe calls for and just bake it a bit longer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jacque 6 21 Flag

My neighbor lady gave me this recipe that her mother used for years.

Canned Or Sweet Milk

Yield: 1 Cup

3/4 cup Sugar

1/3 cup Water

1/4 cup Oleo

1 cup Powdered Milk

Place first three ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil.

Pour into blender, slowly add powdered milk as blending.

Blend until smooth

Store covered in refrigerator.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Have Evaporated Milk In Your Pantry

By Carol Young 89 39

I pick up a can of evaporated milk every time I do my weekly grocery shopping. It is very inexpensive and good to have on hand. It can be used in place of light cream in recipes, in place of milk (my mother always made her rice pudding substituting a can of evaporated milk and I still make it that way!)

By Carol from Lancaster, PA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substituting Evaporated Milk for Whole Milk

Can I use evaporated milk in making mashed potatoes as a substitute for whole milk?

By Marge J.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 Flag

Yes you can substitute that for whole milk in mashed potatoes. Use it the same amount as you would whole milk. The only difference between evaporated milk and real milk is that it has been heated and made to be thicker. It is just not as tasty to drink straight but it is the same thing.

Blessings, Robyn

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judy = Oklahoma 60 750 Flag

Absolutely, and you will love the richer flavor it gives your potatoes! I also use it in my potato soup and you can really tell the difference compared to using regular milk - just not the same!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substituting Condensed Milk for Whole Milk

By Aprill M. 2

So how much sweet condensed milk does it take to substitute whole milk?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By frances 1 99 Flag

Sweetened condensed milk cannot be substituted for whole milk. Condensed milk is milk that has been reduced and to which a great deal of sugar has been added. You can, however, substitute evaporated milk for whole milk. Just add the same amount of water as you have evaporated milk; example, 1 cup milk and 1 cup water. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Condensed milk can be substituted for whole milk in recipes:

1 cup whole milk = 1/2 cup condensed milk + 1/2 cup water

As condensed milk is already sweetened, reduce the sugar in your recipe by 6 teaspoons for each change.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

How much evaporated milk equals 2/3 cup of whole milk?

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

As far as I know when you substitute Evaporated Milk for Whole Milk, you have to dilute with water, to a certain amount. Anyway, that is what I remember my late mother doing, but I don't know how she proportioned it. She rarely measured things. I would think for 2/3 cup I would use Evaporated Milk in a measuring cup, up to maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and fill it up with water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Colleen A. 1

I need 1/2 cup of milk, but only have evaporated milk. How can I substitute it? Help me plz.

By Colleen A.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

My late mother used to mix water in with the evaporated milk. I can't remember the proportions, my guess would be until it looked equal to whole milk, instead of as thick as evaporated milk is.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsDecember 30, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Ground Turkey Skewers
    Recipes Using Ground Turkey
    Woman Looking For Substitute Foods in the Fridge
    Substituting Foods in Recipes
    Fat Free Cream Cheese
    Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
    Hamburger Stroganoff
    Hamburger Stroganoff Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:56:08 AM on 10.0.0.246 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings