LaundryCleaning

Red Collar Bleeding On White Shirt

I have a shirt with a red collar, but the rest is white. After I washed it the red collar bleed on the white part making it pink. How do I get the white white and keep the red, red.

Gina from Selma, NC

Best Answer

Rit sells a product called Color Remover. You could hold the shirt by the collar and dip it in it to remove the red but I don't know how you can prevent it from happening again.

Best Answer

If you bought it recently you have the right to change it but they will blame you for washing at higher temp than stated, only a special test will show that.

However if it is not or you don't want to, then the only way is to unstitch the collar, and wash the rest with wash powder and bleach on its own in the washing machine then stitch the collar back on, and the next time wash on its own with cold wash only, or take it to a dry cleaners that does repairs and get them to do this but it would cost anything from ten pounds to twenty pounds depending on the area you live. I know this because I used to have a dry cleaning shop and I would have done this for ten pounds. Good luck

You might have to purchase a box of red dye and change the color to solid red.

Marge from NY

Return the shirt if you can. It should not do that.

I've gotten out some bleeding with a product called Shout Color Catcher. I never tried it on anything very saturated with bleeding, though.

Color catcher looks like a dryer sheet and is absolutely incredible. My college daughter throws everything in the wash at one time, and none of the colors bleed.

Brigitte from Louisiana