Browsing: Preventing Food from Staining Plastic Containers

Preventing Tomato Stains in Tupperware

Before putting tomato sauce or other leftovers that may say stain into tupperware, line the container with foil.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I would use waxed paper instead of foil. Tomatoes are acidic and might cause a chemical reaction with the foil.

Might cooking spray also help, if you are not going to store it overnight, but use it all during the meal?

both of the other posts are my concerns and ideas! :)

As a prep chef and someone that just has this phobia about covering any tomato or cheese type foods/casseroles, etc... The foil and the natural acids in the tomatoes and cheeses cause a reaction.

The cooking spray works wonderful! And if you use the flavorless, it won't alter the taste. Or depending on the 'dish' using an olive oil flavor spray will enhance the flavor more.

Just an additional hint... when covering these types of dishes and looking to maintain food temperature, be sure to cover them with plastic wrap then with foil. This prevent the reaction and possibility of any food spoilage or human consumption of something that could have harmful potential. :)

Isn't it just easier to rinse bowl with cold water and make sure the food is cool when you put it in? plastic is poress. so when food is warm.it opens the pores causing stains...to remove stains use baking soda paste..OR a little bit of bleach mixed with warm water, sometimes just putting bowl in the sun for a day will help.

I used to sell Tupperware many years ago, and still buy and use it all the time for everything. The best way I have found is to make a paste mixture of Vinegar and baking soda, then coat the inside of the bowl, allow it to sit for a few minutes to do its thing, then just rinse and wash as you normally would. I still have bowls that are over 25yrs old, and there are no stains of any kind in any of them at all. Although I do like the idea of spraying olive oil into the bowl before putting the food in it to enhance the flavor, since I usually store my left overs in my Tupperware. I will have to try that next time I make pasta.

You folks frighten me. With all the information out there both about the toxins in cooking sprays and the dangers of plastic toxins leaching into food when anything is hot in plastic, I would put neither hot food nor cooking spray on plastic containers.

I use the 1 gallon food storage bags (no zippers, etc.) and line the container with the bag. Place the food in the bag and freeze. Once frozen, remove from the container, put in a heavier bag and now your container is free and your bagged food can stack. Now you can reheat in a pan(stove) or bowl(microwave).

All of these are excellent tips, however, after tomato sauce ( from a can ) is exposed to the air, it should not come into contact with metals such as tinfoil. The acidity in the tomatoes when mixed with metals will cause your sauce or any canned tomato product to turn black. I learned this the hard way many many years ago..

Another thing that causes staining is the microwave. Any oil put on plastic such as Tupperware and used in the microwave will cook the plastic and the stain will be permanent. Use microwave safe glass when cooking anything with acidic food or oil in it, in the microwave.

Plastic Containers
Preventing Food from Staining Plastic Containers
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJuly 22, 2004
Tupperware Stacked
Organizing Plastic Containers
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Food in Tupperware
Cleaning Stained Tupperware
Man With Stain in Underarm
Preventing Underarm Stains
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 4:54:11 PM on 10.0.2.224 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.